Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Path name problem with pivot data source

Thanks Dave
Typing the UNC and full patname when linking the pivot table fixes the
problem (I didn't need to disconnect my mapped drive)
I did have to build my excel file again though - could not find a way to
edit the 'problem' pathname in the original file?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, this is untested and from memory. So you'll want to test it yourself.

When I had to do this, I found that I had the best luck by disconnecting that
mapped drive. Then I'd use the UNC path when I created the link/pivottable...

I don't recall any problem when the user opened it. But I have read posts where
if the user saved the file, the link would convert to the mapped drive.

I don't recall seeing this problem, but I did my best to make sure that
important drives were always mapped to the same letter for each user.

David wrote:

I have a situation with many users mapped to the same server under various
'drive letters' Lets say the server name is 'abcd\'. when users map to
network drive they may get 'X:\' or 'Y:\' or 'Z:\'. They will see
adcd\MyDatabasefolder:\.. as Z:\MyDatabaseFolder\.. etc. I need to force
'abcd\MyDatabaseFolder\' as the pathname when setting up the data source for
the pivot table so that all users can refresh the pivot table via a valid
path regardless of which drive letter has been aloocated on their machine. I
suspect there is a convention for naming the path that I am not aware of.
I've tried the obvious, but no luck so far
Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'd rebuild. But I still don't have a way to test to see if there's something
easier.

But I would verify that it worked on the other pc's (if you haven't already).

David wrote:

I have a situation with many users mapped to the same server under various
'drive letters' Lets say the server name is 'abcd\'. when users map to
network drive they may get 'X:\' or 'Y:\' or 'Z:\'. They will see
adcd\MyDatabasefolder:\.. as Z:\MyDatabaseFolder\.. etc. I need to force
'abcd\MyDatabaseFolder\' as the pathname when setting up the data source for
the pivot table so that all users can refresh the pivot table via a valid
path regardless of which drive letter has been aloocated on their machine. I
suspect there is a convention for naming the path that I am not aware of.
I've tried the obvious, but no luck so far
Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ps.

You could open the pivottable wizard for that pivottable and hit the back button
a few times, change the source and then finish (or go forward), though.