Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding Options When User Cancels/Cannot Find

Hi everyone,

Much thanks in advance for any help.

I'm putting together the two below macros. The first to ask the user
for a vendor name, and then it searches (easy enough!). When I search
for a vendor that is not there, I get an error to debug. I'd like an
error box to pop up. I just learned userforms today so I'm thinking
maybe that would work as an option? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

(1)*********

Dim sUsername As String
Dim sPrompt As String
sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, sTitle, sDefault)

Sheets("list").Select
Range("C2").Select
Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
LookAt _
:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Select
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Find returns a Range object.
If whatever is not found then Nothing is returned.
So...

Dim fCell as range
'Remove".Select" from the end.
Set fCell = Find(What: ...fill in)
If fCell is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Not Found"
Else
'something
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I keep getting an error message.
Note I made an addition to the macro.

SORT_DATE
SORT_VENDOR

Dim sUsername As String
Dim sPrompt As String
sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, sTitle, sDefault)

Sheets("list").Select
Range("C2").Select
Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
LookAt _
:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Select

If sUsername = "" Then
MsgBox "You have cancelled the search."
Sheets("welcome").Select
Range("a1").Select

Exit Sub
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub username()

Dim sUsername As String
Dim sPrompt As String
Dim found As Range
sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, "Select Name...", "")

Sheets("list").Activate
Set found = Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)
If Not found Is Nothing Then
found.Select
Else
MsgBox "Unable to find " & sUsername

wrote in message
This wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I keep getting an error message.
Note I made an addition to the macro.

SORT_DATE
SORT_VENDOR

Dim sUsername As String
Dim sPrompt As String
sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, sTitle, sDefault)

Sheets("list").Select
Range("C2").Select
Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
LookAt _
:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False).Select

If sUsername = "" Then
MsgBox "You have cancelled the search."
Sheets("welcome").Select
Range("a1").Select

Exit Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

On May 22, 2:03*pm, "Patrick Molloy"
wrote:
Sub username()

* Dim sUsername As String
* * Dim sPrompt As String
* * Dim found As Range
* * sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
* * sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, "Select Name...", "")

* * Sheets("list").Activate
* * Set found = Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, _
* * LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _
* * * * SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
* * MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)
* * If Not found Is Nothing Then
* * * * found.Select
* * Else
* * * * MsgBox "Unable to find " & sUsername

* * End If

End Sub

wrote in message

This wouldn't work. Any other ideas? I keep getting an error message.
Note I made an addition to the macro.

* *SORT_DATE
* *SORT_VENDOR

* *Dim sUsername As String
* *Dim sPrompt As String
* *sPrompt = "Please enter vendor name"
* *sUsername = InputBox(sPrompt, sTitle, sDefault)

* *Sheets("list").Select
* *Range("C2").Select
* *Cells.Find(What:=sUsername, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas,
LookAt _
* * * *:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlNext,
MatchCase:= _
* * * *False, SearchFormat:=False).Select

* *If sUsername = "" Then
* * * MsgBox "You have cancelled the search."
* * * Sheets("welcome").Select
* * * Range("a1").Select

* * * *Exit Sub
* *End If