Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Please help with "Username"

Hello all,

I use the code below to validate the users who open the file. Somehow, the
code is not recognizing two of the usernames. It keeps taking them to the
Case Else, even though they are correct usernames. I even checked with my IT
department to make sure that they are correct usernames. There are 19
authorized users.

Does anyone know why? Thanks.

Private Sub Auto_Open()
Dim UName As String 'Use to check for authorized user

UName = LCase(Environ("UserName"))
Select Case UName
Case "user1", "user2", "user3", "user4", "user5",.....,"user19"
Case Else
Workbooks("Workbook.xls").Windows(1).Visible = False
MsgBox "Sorry, you are not one of the authorized users for " & _
"this file." vbCritical, "User Validator Macro"
Workbooks("Workbook.xls").Close False
End Select

Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you typing the usernames in lowercase?

Are you sure that there aren't extra space characters in the name string?

I'd bet that there was a difference--maybe a couple of transposed characters???

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. Yes, everything is in lower case. In addition,
there were no extra space or characters and transposed of characters.

That is what puzzles me. Is there a limit on how many username can be used
for "Username"?

Thanks.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

19 names should not be a problem, as this select case statement handles
about 1000 characters in the first evaluation. Find out which usernames are
failing and investigate them.

Sub Test()

Dim s As String
Dim x As Long
For x = 122 To 25 Step -1
s = "test" & x
Select Case s
Case "test122", "test121", "test120", "test119", "test118",
"test117", "test116", "test115", "test114", "test113", "test112", "test111",
"test110", "test109", "test108", "test107", "test106", "test105", "test104",
"test103", "test102", "test101", "test100", "test99", "test98", "test97",
"test96", "test95", "test94", "test93", "test92", "test91", "test90",
"test89", "test88", "test87", "test86", "test85", "test84", "test83",
"test82", "test81", "test80", "test79", "test78", "test77", "test76",
"test75", "test74", "test73", "test72", "test71", "test70", "test69",
"test68", "test67", "test66", "test65", "test64", "test63", "test62",
"test61", "test60", "test59", "test58", "test57", "test56", "test55",
"test54", "test53", "test52", "test51", "test50", "test49", "test48",
"test47", "test46", "test45", "test44", "test43", "test42", "test41",
"test40", "test39", "test38", "test37", "test36", "test35", "test34",
"test33", "test32", "test31", "test30", "test29", "test28", "test27",
"test26", "test25"
' OK
Case Else
Debug.Print s & " not in list"
End Select
Next

Tim Zych
http://www.higherdata.com
Workbook Compare - Excel data comparison utility

Please Help wrote:

Hello all,

I use the code below to validate the users who open the file. Somehow,
the
code is not recognizing two of the usernames. It keeps taking them to
the
Case Else, even though they are correct usernames. I even checked with
my IT
department to make sure that they are correct usernames. There are 19
authorized users.

Does anyone know why? Thanks.

Private Sub Auto_Open()
Dim UName As String 'Use to check for authorized user

UName = LCase(Environ("UserName"))
Select Case UName
Case "user1", "user2", "user3", "user4", "user5",.....,"user19"
Case Else
Workbooks("Workbook.xls").Windows(1).Visible = False
MsgBox "Sorry, you are not one of the authorized users for
" & _
"this file." vbCritical, "User Validator Macro"
Workbooks("Workbook.xls").Close False
End Select

Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to add to Tim's response...

Can you go to the offenders and have them run a small macro:

Option Explicit
sub testit()
debug.print "****" & environ("username") & "****"
end sub

(the ****'s are just to help the username stand out more)

Then look at the immediate window in the VBE and see if you notice the spelling
error.

I'm gonna bet that you still have a typing difference.

===========

Or your code has an uppercase letter that you're missing. You can avoid that
by:

Select case lcase(...)
case is = lcase("test1"), lcase("test2"), ....

or add a line to the top of the module that will make all text comparisons
non-case sensitive:

Option Compare Text

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good morning Dave,

Unfortunately, the users are located in another state. I double-checked the
usernames in my code and in our addressbook. They are the same.

As far as case sensitivity, one of the lines in my code converts the
usernames to lower case. By having that line, do you think case is still an
issue?

Thanks.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tim,

Thanks for your response. I know which usernames are failing. I just don't
know why they are failing. As I responded to Dave, I checked the usernames
with those users, with our IT and in our addressbook. They are matched to
what I have in my code.

That is where I get frustrated. Anymore idea?

Thanks.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Please Help

Copy/Paste the information sources to two different comumns on a w/s let us say Column A and F

Then place this formula in column C "=A1=F1" (Copy Down) then check all of the "False"

Trick I learned a long time ago is to =Trim(Clean("YoutText"))

EagleOne

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

EagleOne,

Thanks for your response. I am not sure what this test will accomplish on
my situation. Please explain.

Thanks.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

maybe looking for typos, additional spaces or even hidden characters.
I once had a CRLF buried in a username and it took forever to discover that
it was actually our SQL developer's bug. drat.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ps.

And send those users with problems a workbook to open that populates a cell with
their username. Tell them to save the file and return it to you.

worksheets("sheet1").range("a1").value = "****" & environ("username") & "****"

Maybe you'll see the difference.

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

First of all, thank you very much for continuing to help.

Secondly, I am pulling my hairs out. I sent them a blank workbook to
populate their username as you instructed, and the populated usernames are
exactly what I have in my code. The username is in between 4 ****s. No
spaces or transpose of letters between ****s.

The populated username begins with a capitalized letter and follows by lower
case letters. I don't think that will be an issue since I have the code
below. Am I correct?

As far as lcase, the following line is in my original code:

Please Help wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I missed the lcase() stuff in your other code (like I said earlier).

But you never shared what you actually used for the names in that "case is ="
list statement.

Maybe you typed uppercase characters in those strings.

UName = LCase(Environ("UserName"))
Select Case UName
Case "User1", "user2", "user3", "user4", "user5",.....,"user19"

Would make User1 never work.

user1 is different from User1

So either fix your typing to use all lowercase or use:
case is = lcase("user1"), lcase("user2"), ....

or add
Option Compare Text
at the top of the module.

Then your text comparisons in this module will be non-case-sensitive.