Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot delete workheet

Hi all

Excel 2003

In any workbook, if I try to delete a sheet, I get the message "cannot find
staff.xls". Steps tried to rectify:

1) Disable all add-ins (including COM) - no change
2) Disable all macros - no change
3) Create a new WB, save as staff.xls. With macros still disabled, receive
a message The macro 'staff.xls!refuseToDelete' cannot be found.
4) Search registry for keyword 'RefuseToDelete'. No key found
What next?

--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote in news:4A0B50B4.14D95B36
@verizonXSPAM.net:

Excel /safe

Dave,

Thank you.

So far, starting Excel /safe is allowing me to delete.

Strangely, following other listed steps I tried deleting sheets using code
(not in safe mode). This worked. So, if nothing else, I can cobble together
an ugly workaround until I resolve the problem.

I will provide feedback once I resolve the problem.

--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Open excel in safe mode

Windows start button|Run
Excel /safe

File open any workbook
Try deleting a sheet.

If it works, then you (probably??) missed a macro in another workbook that's
being run automatically.

And you'll have to do some detective work to find the culprit.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

Cawshus wrote:

Hi all

Excel 2003

In any workbook, if I try to delete a sheet, I get the message "cannot find
staff.xls". Steps tried to rectify:

1) Disable all add-ins (including COM) - no change
2) Disable all macros - no change
3) Create a new WB, save as staff.xls. With macros still disabled, receive
a message The macro 'staff.xls!refuseToDelete' cannot be found.
4) Search registry for keyword 'RefuseToDelete'. No key found
What next?

--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here wrote in
8:

Dave Peterson wrote in
news:4A0B50B4.14D95B36 @verizonXSPAM.net:

Excel /safe

Dave,

Thank you.

So far, starting Excel /safe is allowing me to delete.

Strangely, following other listed steps I tried deleting sheets using
code (not in safe mode). This worked. So, if nothing else, I can
cobble together an ugly workaround until I resolve the problem.

I will provide feedback once I resolve the problem.

Worked through Chip's page - no result.
Worked through Jan Karel's page down to and including manually removing
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel.

Now to restore add-ins!

--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot delete workheet Addendum

Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here wrote in
8:

Cawshus <YaWontFindIt@Here wrote in
8:

Dave Peterson wrote in
news:4A0B50B4.14D95B36 @verizonXSPAM.net:

Excel /safe

Dave,

Thank you.

So far, starting Excel /safe is allowing me to delete.

Strangely, following other listed steps I tried deleting sheets using
code (not in safe mode). This worked. So, if nothing else, I can
cobble together an ugly workaround until I resolve the problem.

I will provide feedback once I resolve the problem.

Worked through Chip's page - no result.
Worked through Jan Karel's page down to and including manually
removing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel.

Now to restore add-ins!

With everything now back in place, I exported the above registry key
again and renamed both txt. The corrupt file was 79 kb while the new
file was 14kb. Examination using Excel (Coutif) revealed MANY
differences and many keys in the old file not present in the new file
and vice-versa. Nothing stood out as potential culprit. However, Hex
keys for "CmdBarData" keep running for three-hundred-and-eighty-four
lines which seems a little excessive. A possible cause?

Another symptom not listed: During the process of working through Chip
Peason and Jan Karel's instructions, I tried to switch from Excel sheet
to VB window using [Alt]/[F11]. Instead of the expected result, up
popped a new worksheet, entitled Macro1.

Bottom line. If it happens again, I have an ExcelGood.reg file enabling
quick restore after deletion of the old keys.

--
ö Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave Peterson wrote in
:

ctrl-f11 will insert a macro sheet.

I don't have a guess what the cmdbardata stuff is.

I am fairly sure I used [Alt]/[F11] but cannot swear on a stack of
bibles:-)

cmdbardata is mentioned only in the hope it may trigger a memory and
help someone else in future.

At the moment, Excel loads faster and is humming along better than it
has been for a couple of months, leaving nothing but smiles at the
result of killing the Excel 11.0 registry data. Possibly useful to
someone complaining about speed but not able to trace it down data
volume or inneficient design.