Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nev Nev is offline

Default Compare part of text cell to another

Hi there

I want to compare cell 1 with cell 2.

Cell 1 contains an address without the house number.

Cell 2 has the same address with the house number.

I want to be able to compare the 2 cells and if they are the same (excluding
the number) the answer is TRUE

Can this be done?

thanks

Nev
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nev

You may be able to use the search function.

=SEARCH(A2,B2)

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Somthing like this...If matching will return true; if not blank..

HIGH STREET, HIGH STREET 120 will return true
HIGH STREET 120, HIGH STREET will return true
HIGH STREET 120 , HIGH STEET 150 will return blank

A1 = Address1
B1 = Address2
C1 = IF(ISERROR(FIND(B17,C17))+ISERROR(FIND(C17,B17))<2 ,TRUE,"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Nev" wrote:

Hi there

I want to compare cell 1 with cell 2.

Cell 1 contains an address without the house number.

Cell 2 has the same address with the house number.

I want to be able to compare the 2 cells and if they are the same (excluding
the number) the answer is TRUE

Can this be done?

thanks

Nev

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nev Nev is offline

Dan

That's great. How do I stop #value! if the result is false. I want to
leave the cell blank or say no/false

Thanks

Nev

"dan dungan" wrote:

Hi Nev

You may be able to use the search function.

=SEARCH(A2,B2)

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Nev Nev is offline

Hi Jacob

Thanks but perhaps you need a bit more information

Cell 1 address is formatted using Alt Enter ie

Union Buildings
Union Square
Bradford

Cell 2

25 Union Buildings
Union Square
Bradford
Yorks
BD5 8NN

I would like to be able to compare the 2 and that cell 1 is contained within
cell 2 so answer is "y" or "n"

Can you help?

thanks

Nev