Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel & Access Tables

I have a workbook with VBA code originally built under Excel 2003 and an
Access project originally in 2003. I converted both to 2007 but the workbook
will not recognize the Access 2007 database. Workbook is not linked to
tables. I pull in records with an SQL query. I changed the connection
string
to reflect the different file extension but nothing else. Any idea what I
need to do to get these files compatible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The problem is with Access. the databases are not backwards compatiable. If
your have a 2003 database you must use 2003 Access. If you have a 2007
Access you must first update your database to 2007 before you can use office
2007 and then 2003 won't work with the database.

Databases and Excel Spreadsheets have version number that you son't see. Yo
have to copy theh 2003 worksheet into a 2007 workbook to upgrade the
worksheet. Yo may also need to change your reference libraries in the excel
VBA to 12.0 libraries. the references are in the VBA menu Tools -
References. 2003 libraries are 11.0 and 2007 libraries are 12.0.

"June7" wrote:

I have a workbook with VBA code originally built under Excel 2003 and an
Access project originally in 2003. I converted both to 2007 but the workbook
will not recognize the Access 2007 database. Workbook is not linked to
tables. I pull in records with an SQL query. I changed the connection
string
to reflect the different file extension but nothing else. Any idea what I
need to do to get these files compatible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Excel 2007 had no problem opening the .xls workbook and reading the
Access 2003 DB. So I saved the .xls as a 2007 .xlsm (macro enabled) and it
still reads the Access 2003 which is a backend of my Access app. The
frontend is fully converted to 2007 and also reads the 2003 fine. I tried
checking reference libraries but didn't see where needed changes. Will look
again. I get error message from 2007 Excel that doesn't recognize .accdb
file type. You think just SaveAs was not sufficient to convert the Excel
from 2003 to 2007?

"June7" wrote:

I have a workbook with VBA code originally built under Excel 2003 and an
Access project originally in 2003. I converted both to 2007 but the workbook
will not recognize the Access 2007 database. Workbook is not linked to
tables. I pull in records with an SQL query. I changed the connection
string
to reflect the different file extension but nothing else. Any idea what I
need to do to get these files compatible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Worksheets have a version number that is not visible and doesn't get changed
when you save as xlsm. A worksheet and a access table are really the same
structure. Because Access isn't forward or backwards compatible, the version
number is needed to verify that you are using the correct version of Access
with the Correct version of the database. The consequences when you use
excel the worksheet is there are sometimes compatibility problems with a
worksheet.

the librarys references are different for diferenent version of excel

10.0 libraries for 2002
11.0 libraries for 2003
12.0 libraries for 2007.

"June7" wrote:

I have a workbook with VBA code originally built under Excel 2003 and an
Access project originally in 2003. I converted both to 2007 but the workbook
will not recognize the Access 2007 database. Workbook is not linked to
tables. I pull in records with an SQL query. I changed the connection
string
to reflect the different file extension but nothing else. Any idea what I
need to do to get these files compatible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your efforts, Joel. I tried copying the worksheets into a new
blank 2007 workbook and checked the Libraries and imported the tables into
new blank accdb but Excel still not recognizing the accdb. Guess will have
to get a consultant in here to eyeball the setup. Thanks again.