Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming language scripts?

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming lan

You could get thousands of answers to your question. What is Better? What
is more organized? I guess you don't like the other programming lanugages
that is why you are asking the question. What don't yo like about the other
languages then you can ask is excel better.

Excel scripts are Visual Prgramming Laguage (VBA) which is similar to
microsoft Visual Basic VB6 and VB.Net. The advantages of microsoft languages
is you can use the spreadsheett for I/O and storing data. You can also
access Access, Word, Power Point, Internet Explorer, Outlook from the
language. But there are things you can't do or easier to do from the other
languages you mentioned.

Each programming language has its advantages and disadvantages. None are
perfectrt for every application.

"Advice Pro" wrote:

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming

Tim: I think you measn that VBA is not meant for creating websites, it is
acceptable for downloading data from websites. table stored on websites with
VBA can be downloaded into a speadsheet and manipultes like any other
spreadsheet data.

"Advice Pro" wrote in message

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the file is downloadable to the user computer, yes. Otherwise, no.
If the file on the web is designed to respond to a user interaction, it
could be described as the code running, but it would only be effective on
the web page and not on the user computer. I am sure this is a clear a mud.

"Advice Pro" wrote in message

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are
the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The excel file has VBA code and the customer can press buttons to activate
the VBA code. I would like for the excel file to run on the website only and
not be downloadable. How can this be done? Do we upload the excel file to
the website as a .XLS file?
--
Larry

"Advice Pro" wrote in message

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are
the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your reply.
Can we upload the excel file as .XLS to the website. When the customer
enters the website, and presses the button to go to the excel file, can the
website download the excel file into the customer's computer's temp folder.
The excel file would auto_open in the customers computer.
So we would store the excel file on the website, but download and run the
excel file on the PC computer.
Would this work?
--
Larry

"Advice Pro" wrote in message

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized are
the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Comments inline

Tim

"Larry" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply.
Can we upload the excel file as .XLS to the website.

Yes.

When the customer
enters the website, and presses the button to go to the excel file, can
the
website download the excel file into the customer's computer's temp
folder.

Not exactly - the website does nothing other than serve up content: the
browser (user) decides what happens with the downloaded content. They could
choose to open it (in Excel or their browser, depending on config and
settings) or to save it somewhere on their computer.

The excel file would auto_open in the customers computer.
So we would store the excel file on the website, but download and run the
excel file on the PC computer.
Would this work?

Only if the end-user allows it (and unless it's a https connection I - and I
suspect many others - would not)

--
Larry

"Advice Pro" wrote in message

I'm new to Excel and I'd like to know since it's more organized
are
the
scripts better than other programming language scripts such as
Ajax,
JavaScript, Java FX, etc.

--
Advice Pro
Advice Pro's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=204
View this thread:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=92235

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your quick response.
You said they could choose to open it in excel.
So if we upload the excel file (.XLS) to the website, the customer could
choose to open it in excel. Is this correct?
Presently, we have a Power Point file on the website, the customer can open
and play the Power point file by pushing a button on the website.
Can the excel file be opened the same way? Push a button on the website and
the excel file opens?
--
Larry

"Tim Williams" wrote: