Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default linking cell to an access database form

I have a database of tools, many different types, and we have a
spreadsheet which lists certain tools which are required for a job.

The database lists every tool we have and all have an asset number.
So from the spreadsheet; if it says that 2 35ton hydraulic jacks are
needed, then I would like to be able to have a link which will go to the
database and show or list the 2 jacks we will use; each with their own
asset label.

Is this possible?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The answer is YES. You probably have a column in the database when a tool is
assigned to a job and when it is returned. A macro can also ad an assign
mark into the database. Excel VBA would need to open the database, find an
tool not asigned and then download the access number of the tool, and finally
mark the database that the tool has been assigned. You probably want to also
to include in the database when it ws assigned and which job is using the
tool. IYou can also add a link in both directions from access to excel and
ecel to access.

"Bob H" wrote:

I have a database of tools, many different types, and we have a
spreadsheet which lists certain tools which are required for a job.

The database lists every tool we have and all have an asset number.
So from the spreadsheet; if it says that 2 35ton hydraulic jacks are
needed, then I would like to be able to have a link which will go to the
database and show or list the 2 jacks we will use; each with their own
asset label.

Is this possible?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, thanks for that, so my next question is how do I go about adding a
link in both directions. I think I have some idea in access because I
built the database, but not in Excel.

Thanks again

"Bob H" wrote:

I have a database of tools, many different types, and we have a
spreadsheet which lists certain tools which are required for a job.

The database lists every tool we have and all have an asset number.
So from the spreadsheet; if it says that 2 35ton hydraulic jacks are
needed, then I would like to be able to have a link which will go to the
database and show or list the 2 jacks we will use; each with their own
asset label.

Is this possible?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the macro commands in excel and access are the same provided you do the
following:
1) In Excel VBA menu as reference
Tools - Reference - Microsof Access object 11.0 library (or latest on your
pc)
2) If using ADO object add refence
Tools - Reference - Microsof ActiveX 2.8 object library (or latest on your pc)
3) Defihne an object to your access database. There are a number of way to
do this

Set obj = CreateObject("Access.application")

or

Set obj = GetObject("c:\temp\abc.mdb")

Then put obj before your access library functions.

Look in the ACCESS VBA help under open database.

Note: to create the link in excel I would run the Macro recorder in excel
from worksheet menu

Tool - Macro - Start Recording

Then add a hyperlink manually either by right clicking mouse on the cel
where you want the link or from menu Insert Hyperlink. Then stop recording
and use the code from the recorder.