Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KR KR is offline

Default how to create a userform without VBA

hey...i have an MS Access DBS. I want users to be able to access it using
Excel (the users computers do not have Access and we may not have it for
awhile). Is there a a simplier way to create a form for them to enter data
(like in access) besides using VBA and besides using the form option. The
form option is giving me trouble because i need the users to query for their
own records (username) out of a couple of thousand and than add notes to each
record. Ultimately I would go back to access from my end and do my reporting.
help much appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could create a form like sheet using Validations which allow users to
choose values from a defined list and then use those values to populate back
into the Access DB using the DB Connect commands.

The sheet can be made to look more form like by merging cells for data entry.

"kr" wrote:

hey...i have an MS Access DBS. I want users to be able to access it using
Excel (the users computers do not have Access and we may not have it for
awhile). Is there a a simplier way to create a form for them to enter data
(like in access) besides using VBA and besides using the form option. The
form option is giving me trouble because i need the users to query for their
own records (username) out of a couple of thousand and than add notes to each
record. Ultimately I would go back to access from my end and do my reporting.
help much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KR KR is offline

Okay great! how would i get the textboxes to populate from the records in
access?
this is what I would like for it to look like:

User - Txtbox
Client# - Txtbox
Client info - Txtbox
Response - Txtbox (Memo field from Access)

But I have the records specified per user. So what I would like is to have
the user be able to call their own records when excel opens and then possible
have buttons or a search textbox to go from record to record.

This maybe harder to do in Excel than what I'm thinking but it would be
great. I'mjust not that familiar with VBA and need a quick fix for the
problem.

"kr" wrote:

hey...i have an MS Access DBS. I want users to be able to access it using
Excel (the users computers do not have Access and we may not have it for
awhile). Is there a a simplier way to create a form for them to enter data
(like in access) besides using VBA and besides using the form option. The
form option is giving me trouble because i need the users to query for their
own records (username) out of a couple of thousand and than add notes to each
record. Ultimately I would go back to access from my end and do my reporting.
help much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think this is a bit more complicated than what advice could be given in
this format. Have a look in the VB Help under the topic ReturnsRecords
Property. This will give an example that "...uses the Connect and
ReturnsRecords properties to select the top five book titles from a Microsoft
SQL Server database based on year-to-date sales amounts".

You should be able to use that to return records from Access and have them
populate in Excel. You could have variables in the SQL Queries that searches
the Access database by a username or something similar. You can then use the
SQL Insert statements to send data back to the Access database.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think it's a pretty big project to
have it operate how you see it.