Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Unicode Problem

I am having a small problem with Unicode character 1771 (6EB). When I run:

Sub uniMagic()
s = ChrW(1771)
With Range("A1")
.Font.Name = "Arial Unicode MS"
.Value = s & "alpha" & s & "omega"
.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(.Value, 5)
End With
End Sub

I noticed:

1. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the cell A1
2. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the formula bar
3. the formula br has the text way to the right rather than the left
4. the value in B1 seems to indicate that the left-most part of A1 really
IS "alpha"

What is happening??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am using Win XP and Excel 2002.

I will re-test on an Excel 2007 machine tomorrow.

Thanks for replying!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Tried in 2007..

1. Appear as ۫alpha۫omega
2. Appear as ۫alpha۫omega
3. Refer point 2
4. Appears as ۫alph

Is this something to do with the language settings/or any over running events.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am having a small problem with Unicode character 1771 (6EB). When I run:

Sub uniMagic()
s = ChrW(1771)
With Range("A1")
.Font.Name = "Arial Unicode MS"
.Value = s & "alpha" & s & "omega"
.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(.Value, 5)
End With
End Sub

I noticed:

1. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the cell A1
2. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the formula bar
3. the formula br has the text way to the right rather than the left
4. the value in B1 seems to indicate that the left-most part of A1 really
IS "alpha"

What is happening??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How clever UNICODE is! It can obviously distinguish the languages with the
reverse order of characters and apply this order. You could thus rearrange
the whole sequence of intermittent strings, if you would accept the inserted
characters (or parts of characters?) from an (for me) unknown alphabet.
Try: s & a & s & b & s & c
The rules are also interesting. It works so only with s in the first
position.

Regards
--
Petr Bezucha

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am having a small problem with Unicode character 1771 (6EB). When I run:

Sub uniMagic()
s = ChrW(1771)
With Range("A1")
.Font.Name = "Arial Unicode MS"
.Value = s & "alpha" & s & "omega"
.Offset(0, 1).Value = Left(.Value, 5)
End With
End Sub

I noticed:

1. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the cell A1
2. the positions of "alpha" and "omega" are reversed in the formula bar
3. the formula br has the text way to the right rather than the left
4. the value in B1 seems to indicate that the left-most part of A1 really
IS "alpha"

What is happening??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks!

Clearly the inclusion of the arabic symbol confused Excel's logic on what
should be presented left-to-right and what should be presented right-to-left.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847