Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ActiveX controls still show data when empty

I have some ActiveX controls on a sheet - they have macros attached to them,
and they have a unique linked cell each.

When I clearcontents the linked cell the control (a ComboBox) still shows
the last lot of data that was in there. The only way I can get rid of it is
to select a blank line, and then delete the zero that it produces (rather
cumbersome and inelegant). Is there a setting I can change? Or a line of code
I can inset into the clearing macro? Regards, Brett
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I could not duplicate your problem, but I found that the combobox in the
test I set up did not respond to the click event code unless it was a
change. Don't know if this is standard or not. I will check it out later.

"Brettjg" wrote in message
I have some ActiveX controls on a sheet - they have macros attached to
them,
and they have a unique linked cell each.

When I clearcontents the linked cell the control (a ComboBox) still shows
the last lot of data that was in there. The only way I can get rid of it
is
to select a blank line, and then delete the zero that it produces (rather
cumbersome and inelegant). Is there a setting I can change? Or a line of
code
I can inset into the clearing macro? Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave

I have a suspicion that dropping the linked cell will cause too much
re-coding, but if JLGWhiz comes up with something later it may help.

Brettjg wrote:

I have some ActiveX controls on a sheet - they have macros attached to them,
and they have a unique linked cell each.

When I clearcontents the linked cell the control (a ComboBox) still shows
the last lot of data that was in there. The only way I can get rid of it is
to select a blank line, and then delete the zero that it produces (rather
cumbersome and inelegant). Is there a setting I can change? Or a line of code
I can inset into the clearing macro? Regards, Brett

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I suppose I should use ComboBoxes more, but I prefer ListBoxes. The best
that I can determine, the click event for the ComboBox fires when an item
other than that shown in the display window is clicked in the drop down
window. It does not fire any other time. It fires for the change event if
a user makes a manual change to the value in the display window or if a
different value is clicked in the drop down list. I had thought that the
click event should fire if the control itself was clicked, but that is not
the case.

I still cannot reproduce your conditions with the linked cell. Mine
disappears in the cell if the control is cleared and in the control if the
cell is cleared. That is the expected result, so I do not know what to tell
you about the cause of condition. Maybe Dave's suggestion to just drop the
linked cell is the best answer.