Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ComboBox still shows data when linked cell is empty

Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings, but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell. If the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100" after the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can't recreate that. Are you talking about a combo on a userform, or on a
sheet. If on a sheet is that an ActiveX or a Forms control. What relevant
source and link settings have you applied.

Regards,
Peter T

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings, but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell. If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100" after the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter, thanks for your response.

It's a forms control in a sheet, not created with VB - it's always there.
Autoload = true
AutoWordSelect = false
HideSelection = false
Matchrequired = false
EnterFieldBehaviour = selectall
linked cell = J14 (which is empty)

After that I'm not sure what else you need to know (not very experienced
with these - "No kidding" I hear you say).
Brett

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings, but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell. If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100" after the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's a forms control in a sheet,

Can't be with those options, surely you mean an ActiveX control

If I delete the linked-cell value the combo's entry is also cleared. Not
sure why that doesn't work similarly for you. What's the source range
(ListFillRange), which Excel version.

Regards,
Peter T

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings,
but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell. If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100" after
the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Listfillrange:
100
1001
2001
3001
4001
5001
200
303
403
'this is a deliberate blank line in the range
110
210
310
410

Excel 2003
How do I tell if it's ActiveX or Forms Control?

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings,
but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell. If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100" after
the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I copied your data into A1:A14 assigned the ListFillRange to A1:A14. If I
select a value in the combo it changes the Linked-cell. If I delete the
value in the linked cell the combo display is empty. I can't recreate your
problem, using Excel 2003.

How do I tell if it's ActiveX or Forms Control?

If you added the control manually you would have added it from the "Control
Toolbox" (activeX) or "Forms" toolbars. If someone else added the control
and you are not sure, if you can only select it by going into design mode
(icon on the ControlToolbox toolbar), or if it has associated event code, it
is an ActiveX control (similar to controls that go on userforms).

Regards,
Peter T

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings,
but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell.
If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100"
after
the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I can only select it in design mode. It has an event procedure attached
to it so that means it must be ActiveX (sorry to mislead you at the outset).
So does that mean that there is another reason why the display is not empty
when the linked cell is?

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi there, I've tried all sorts of settings in the ComboBox settings,
but I
can't get it to show blank when there is no data in the linked cell.
If
the
last entry in the linked cell was "100" then it still shows"100"
after
the
linked cell has been cleared. There must be some little thing to
do........................Regards, Brett

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I didn't pick up that a response had been required earlier. I take it
all works as expected now.

Regards,
Peter T

"Peter T" wrote:

[...]

<snip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you mean this

So does that mean that there is another reason why the display is not
empty
when the linked cell is?

Afraid I have no idea, as I mentioned, I cannot recreate that. Have you
tried what I described to test that.

Regards,
Peter T

"Peter T" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter, I may drop the linked cell. I did this in another book with a
similar ComboBox and just made the macros fire by the content of the text,
then reset the text and select the home cell. Seems to work better. Thanks
very much for your help. Brett

If you mean this