Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Convert Worksheet List to Named Array Constant

I have a list on a worksheet. I would like to convert that list to a named
range. Is there a VBA procedure that would do so?

For example, in cells A1:A3 I have

A1 - Jan
A2 - Feb
A3 - Mar

I would like to convert this list to a defined name called "Months". The
defined name dialog box "refers to" input for the name "Months" would look
like:

={"Jan","Feb","Mar"}

Thanks for your help.

--
Steph
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think this does what you want...

Sub CreateNameArray()
Dim X As Long
Dim R As Range
Dim N As String
Set R = Worksheets("Sheet4").Range("A1:A3")
N = "={"
For X = 1 To R.Count
N = N & """" & R(X).Value & ""","
Next
N = Left(N, Len(N) - 1) & "}"
Names.Add Name:="Months", RefersTo:=N

Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Steph" wrote in message
I have a list on a worksheet. I would like to convert that list to a named
range. Is there a VBA procedure that would do so?

For example, in cells A1:A3 I have

A1 - Jan
A2 - Feb
A3 - Mar

I would like to convert this list to a defined name called "Months". The
defined name dialog box "refers to" input for the name "Months" would look
like:

={"Jan","Feb","Mar"}

Thanks for your help.

--
Steph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You actually don't need a VBA procedure to define a named range. You can
just select the range and define the name attached to it. If the range is
varying in size over time, you can define a dynamic range. When you
reference it, do something like this

Dim myRange as Excel.Range
Dim myWS as Excel.worksheet

Set myWS = Worksheets("Sheet1") 'or whatever sheet it's on
Set myRange = myws.Range("Months")