Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default vba versus vlookup in excel

I'd like to use vba instead of vlookup. I just want the ItemDescription
field to populate so my users don't have enter it in manually.

Here's an example of file structure...

Worksheet named ItemMaster is in folder A.
It has two fields that are named ranges, ItemNumber and ItemDescription.
It is an export from Access that I refresh into excel every week.
ItemNumber is a 5-digit numeric code that Access formats as text (it has
leading zeros which need to stay intact in excel).

UserWorksheet is in folder B.
It has two blank fields that are named ranges, ItemNumber and ItemDescription.
Users will open the UserWorksheet and type a 5-digit number.
I would like it to find the ItemDescription field from the ItemMaster
worksheet.
The ItemNumber field in the UserWorksheet will be formatted as text.
This all works fine using the vlookup function, but I need something more
efficient.

Other stuff...
The ItemDescription worksheet will always be closed...and it will be
"read-only".
The UserWorksheet will be "read-only" ...unsure it this all matters.
We are using Excel 2003.

I am a non-programmer who has some "advanced" abilities in excel. The users
are beginners in excel. The solution needs to be in Excel.

Any help would be really cool...but please remember I don't have much vba
experience.

Thanks...