Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ELAPSED TIME BETWEEN TWO DATES

I am sorry if this is a repost - my earlier post did not seem to be processed.

I have DATE OF BIRTH in cell A1 and DATE OF DEATH in Cell B1. I would like
to place the elapsed time in Cell C1. The format for Cell C1 would be: 79
Years 6 Months 3 Days. How would I write the formula?

Any help you can give me to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I'll repost the answer

I've never understood the value of using months in calculating age, is
someone born on 1 feb the same age as someone born 1 jan at the end of those
months? I think not. However, try this

=DATEDIF(B1,A1,"y")&" years "&DATEDIF(B1,A1,"ym")&" months
"&DATEDIF(B1,A1,"md")&" days"

datedif isn't documented in excel so for help look here
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx

Be aware that this formula can throw up odd results, try these dates

Some odd results arise with that formula when it is used for this kind of
determination:

DOB: 31 Jan 1943
DOD: 01 Mar 2008

Your Formula: 65 y 1 m -1 d

Mike

"Boyertown Casket" wrote:

I am sorry if this is a repost - my earlier post did not seem to be processed.

I have DATE OF BIRTH in cell A1 and DATE OF DEATH in Cell B1. I would like
to place the elapsed time in Cell C1. The format for Cell C1 would be: 79
Years 6 Months 3 Days. How would I write the formula?

Any help you can give me to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is one of those things left over from yesteryear. Tradition, I suppose.

Thanks for your answer. I will try it and thanks for making me aware of
some of the odd results I may obtain.