Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default functions in personal file

When I create a function procedure in a normal Excel file, I can then insert
it by typing it directly in a cell rather than use the Insert Function
command....yet when I save a function in the Personal.xlsb file to have the
function made available to all Excel files I open, when I type that function
in any Excel file, I have to type : =Personal.xlsb!function name(arguments)
each time....is there a way to avoid having to type the "=Personal.xlsb" part
each time I want to type a function stored in Personal for any Excel file I
want to use it in?

thank you very much for any assistance!!
Craig
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Craig

You can set a reference to your personal file
I have a example here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/personal.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Craig" wrote in message ...
When I create a function procedure in a normal Excel file, I can then insert
it by typing it directly in a cell rather than use the Insert Function
command....yet when I save a function in the Personal.xlsb file to have the
function made available to all Excel files I open, when I type that function
in any Excel file, I have to type : =Personal.xlsb!function name(arguments)
each time....is there a way to avoid having to type the "=Personal.xlsb" part
each time I want to type a function stored in Personal for any Excel file I
want to use it in?

thank you very much for any assistance!!
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you save the file as an addin, then you can do what you want, too.

But subroutines in addins aren't visible in the macros|run (alt-f8) dialog.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

Craig wrote:

When I create a function procedure in a normal Excel file, I can then insert
it by typing it directly in a cell rather than use the Insert Function
command....yet when I save a function in the Personal.xlsb file to have the
function made available to all Excel files I open, when I type that function
in any Excel file, I have to type : =Personal.xlsb!function name(arguments)
each time....is there a way to avoid having to type the "=Personal.xlsb" part
each time I want to type a function stored in Personal for any Excel file I
want to use it in?

thank you very much for any assistance!!
Craig

--

Dave Peterson