Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way (encryption type) to really protect my worksheet???

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

There is no secure way of doing either of those things relying on Excel
security, anyone with sufficient determination and Google will quickly remove
all your passwords despite 'workbook open' and 'code module' passwords being
more secure than workbook/worksheet.

Mike

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way (encryption type) to really protect my workshee

Hi mike.

Do you advise any software or have any solution for this?

Thanks
SpeeD

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Perhaps this from Chip Pearson

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CreateAddIn.aspx

Mike

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Indeed, Excel's security, all all security for all Office components, is
pretty feeble. Access is ok, but still crackable if you know what you're
doing. I've heard that .NET has very good security. I can't vouch for it
though. I'm just now starting to learn it myself. As for your original
question about Excel, quite simply no; it can't be protected with any degree
of confidence.

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you all for your advice...

Perhaps with some other way besides strong and viseble security i can
protect my work...
Is there a way to hide procedures or any kind of code inside vba? some
thought about that??

Any one with other ideas is welcome to say something!! :-)

SpeeD

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Again, you can do everything that you proposed to do, but all your effort
will be quickly undone by anyone who is very proficient in Excel. You can
keep the casual user at bay, but with enough will and determination, anyone
can crack into you Excel file. Nothing is secure in Excel-world!! Bottom
line!!

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"SpeeD" wrote:

Hi.

i Do some programming and external work with excel and i want to prevent 2
things:
1- someone from opening the worksheet without password.
2- someone not paying what the own for the job. and for this i have to
protect the code too!

is there a way to enforce this? there are some programs that claim to break
any and every password in excel..

thanks
SpeeD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:36:52 -0700, ryguy7272
wrote:

Again, you can do everything that you proposed to do, but all your effort
will be quickly undone by anyone who is very proficient in Excel. You can
keep the casual user at bay, but with enough will and determination, anyone
can crack into you Excel file. Nothing is secure in Excel-world!! Bottom
line!!

Regards,
Ryan---

Stopping someone from using it - no.
Stopping someone from clamming it is their code - maybe.

If your program is compiled into an exe file, you can examine the hexadecimal
code using debug.exe. So far as I know every Microsoft operating system has
the file buried somewhere within the system. You can use that program to
examine the hex code of the compiled program. There may be places where the
code is 'just taking up space'. If so you can replace some of that code with
your name and date. It will never show when the program is run so there is a
chance that a thief will not look for it. It's been so long sine I used debug
I don't remember if you have to use hexadecimal to input your name or if you
can simply use letters.

Somewhere there is a program named Abacus. It will tell you what every hex
statements does, in raw computer language.

--
Chuck