Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default PROBLEM OPENING FOLDERS (AAAARRRRGGGGHHH !)

Hi there, I've been working with Gord Dibben on a very strange problem with
folder openings. Gord's fixes solved the initial problem, but now there is a
new set of problems, and Gord is out of ideas (not surprising, because it's
very, very wierd).

I need to briefly explain my folder hierarchy:
On C drive there is a folder "1. ACTIVE CLIENTS"
within that there are many client folders
within each of them, there may or may not be subfolders.

Also, I have my main workbook called "TOOLS" which is always open, and it
has a sheet that has a whole bunch of text boxes with hyperlinks on it so I
can open any folder I need easily. Hyperlinks being the sensitive little
critters that they are, I have created a macro that recreates them (necessary
because when Excel 2003 crashes - which it does ALL the time, the hyperlinks
get changed and I have to recreate them).

So now there are three different things happening:
1. Via a macro, if I create the hyperlink to a client folder using "../1.
ACTIVE
CLIENTS/Dibben, G" the "Dibben, G" folder opens perfectly, but when I open
any sub folder it says the path does not exist or is not a directory.

2. Via a macro, if I create the hyperlink to a client folder using "C:\1.
ACTIVE
CLIENTS/Dibben, G" the "Dibben, G" folder gets a virus warning, but
subfolders open perfectly. There are no "confirm open" boxes checked in
folder options for File Folders or Folders.

3. (and the strangest of all) The hyperlink to "1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" uses (and
has always used) "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS". It opens perfectly, and when I go
into a client folder, they open perfectly, as do the client subfolders.

This whole fiasco came about because of a new routine in a different place
(but using identical code), where I was trying to create an individual Client
folder in ACTIVE CLIENTS. When I used the "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" code there
it always added "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS/1. ACTIVE CLIENTS\Dibben, G" and so of
course could not find the folder because of the double /1. ACTIVE CLIENTS in
the path. That's why I reverted to "C:\1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" BUT ONLY IN THIS
NEW PIECE OF CODE, AND THIS IS WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO GET THE VIRUS WARNINGS.

So what do you think might be going on? Or are you now as befuddled as Gord
and I are? Regards, Brett.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If Gord Dibben doesn't have an answer then you really have problems.
Your information boils down to: "my system crashes".
You need to determine why the system is crashing and
not worry now about whether you can access the folders.

Just some guesses/things to try...

Separate your code into sections or step thru it or set the project to
"break on all errors" - but isolate the part of the code malfunctioning.
Then change it/fix it.

Don't use numbers and dots in your folder and file names.
Replace your "conventional" hyperlinks with hyperlink formulas.
(especially if you have 30,000 or more of them)
Clean your code modules, by copying the code out to Notepad and
inserting brand new modules.
Don't us FileSearch use Dir or the Scripting FileSystemObject
If you are using xl2007...why?.
If you fix what is causing the crashes the rest is easy.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Brettjg" <

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim, I was looking at some other stuff in the Excel forum, and 2 years ago
you were talking about your "Dertemine Colours" add-in. The website you
mentioned doesn't appear to be around any more so where could I look please?

BTW, using the Hyperlinks formula solves all those problems, and of course
has created a large re-write of my TOOLS page. It will be far superior when
I've fnished. Thankyou for your help on that. Ken Puls has also emailed me
some new (and untried by me) code for PDFCreator, and that will stop many of
the crashes I think.

Regards, Brett

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brett,
The website host killed my website without notice and when asked
about it seemed to have lost their ability to write or think coherently.
I still haven't gathered up enough reasons to put up another site.

The free Determine Colors Excel add-in (may help color blind users)
can be downloaded at the Excel User Group...
http://excelusergroup.org/media/
There is some other (free) stuff of mine there of varying quality and purpose.

I do have the trial version of my "List Files" Excel add-in available
to all upon request. It generates a hyperlinked listing of specified files
from any folder (with or without subfolders). It can also list folders only.
Automatic grouping, hyperlink removal and directory display included.
Remove xxx from my email address: james.coneXXX at comcast.netXXX
(please include your real name and geographic location)

Glad to hear that you were able to work out the coding problems.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Brettjg"
wrote in message
Hi Jim, I was looking at some other stuff in the Excel forum, and 2 years ago
you were talking about your "Determine Colours" add-in. The website you