Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating product key

I have created an intricate spreadsheet that I'd like to sell online.
I would like to have the users purchase a product key and have to type
that in before they use the spreadsheet for the first time - like they
were buying regular software. I imagine I'd have to store that
information in a database online so that they can validate their
"copy" of the spreadsheet. Does anyone know if that is a
possibility? I'm afraid of everyone just emailing it to all their
family and friends and so I basically only sell the spreadsheet a few
times and it's distributed freely after that.

Any thoughts? Other solutions you might have experience with?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No experience myself.
I found this link in my archives, no idea how good it is

http://www.doneex.com/

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Eric S" wrote in message
I have created an intricate spreadsheet that I'd like to sell online.
I would like to have the users purchase a product key and have to type
that in before they use the spreadsheet for the first time - like they
were buying regular software. I imagine I'd have to store that
information in a database online so that they can validate their
"copy" of the spreadsheet. Does anyone know if that is a
possibility? I'm afraid of everyone just emailing it to all their
family and friends and so I basically only sell the spreadsheet a few
times and it's distributed freely after that.

Any thoughts? Other solutions you might have experience with?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What a gret idea!

Maybe you could put it into a module then password protect it.
You may also want to password all of your modules so the user cannot copy
the code. Even if you registered the Serial number into the registry, this
would not necessarily protect you.

I think the "experts" can extract the data with VB anyway so there is no
safeguard against theft. Just ask Microsoft.

PS Is your Office Product and OS Legal?