Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Get data from Access tbl using Vlookup formula

Is it possible to refer to an Access tbl in a Vlookup formula or is
their a solution that achieves the same result?

The access tbl is too large to bring into a 2003 Excel worksheet and I
also cannot filter the tbl enough to fit into the 65 000 rows.

I would like to use such a "super-sized" vlookup formula in a number
of different excel workbooks, so it must be fairly simple to install.
Would a user-defined VB function do the trick? (I read somewhere that
it has some limitations)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can do this manually

Experiment with a new sheet, then select DataImport External DataNew
Database Query
and continue from there. You select a data source and select a table
therein then create a query
and Excel brings the data back.
Use the help files for assistance.
Useful link
http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/ExternalData.htm

Paul

"KD" wrote in message
Is it possible to refer to an Access tbl in a Vlookup formula or is
their a solution that achieves the same result?

The access tbl is too large to bring into a 2003 Excel worksheet and I
also cannot filter the tbl enough to fit into the 65 000 rows.

I would like to use such a "super-sized" vlookup formula in a number
of different excel workbooks, so it must be fairly simple to install.
Would a user-defined VB function do the trick? (I read somewhere that
it has some limitations)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Paul

I have considered that solution, but it is a bit complicated for my
users who would prefer something like a vlookup formula. I have done
some research and it seems that a solution using VBA is the answer....
creating a connection each time the workbook is opened and then
extracting the data from Access with a user defined function.

Has anyone done something similar so that I can get a start with the
code?