Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Following yesterday's discussion of Excel 2003 v 2007

Thankyou all for your responses. The general opinion seems to be that 2007
just isn't worth it, and I'm happy to stay with 2003.

However, I will still have the crashing problem which occurs at least twice
per week, and sometimes several times in a day (like yesterday, which is why
it took me a while to respond to you all - I'm surprised you didn't hear me,
wherever you are on the planet).

I note that there are some upgrades for Ex 2003 available, but I've always
been loath to do an upgrade for fear of it screwing me completely, and
costing me days and days or repair work. My Ex 2003 is "as delivered" in
2003. How easy/safe is it to put through some upgrades please? Or should I
perhaps just repurchase Ex 2003 and install that (presuming that any current
release would have all the upgrades in it)? Regards, Brett.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

(presuming that any current release would have all the upgrades in it)

Nope, a new version of Excel 2003, if you can still find it, is the virgin
version. After installation, it asks if you want to troll the internet for
updates.

Excel 2003 SP2 was pretty stable. SP3 is also stable, but somewhere in there
Microsoft changed the RefEdit control, and a lot of my clients have problems
with dialogs that have refedits. The error message is nice: Unspecified
Error, followed by Out Of Memory, and everyone probably recognizes the error
number by now: 80004005.

I guess I'm advising you to stick with what you have. Shut down Excel, clean
out the temp directory, and also "C:\Documents and
Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\". then start up again
and see if that's any better.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
774-275-0064
208-485-0691 fax

http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Brettjg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A quick way to find the temp directory is to hold the Windows button and
click R (or go to the Start menu and select Run), Enter %temp% in the box,
and press Enter. It's located at "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\Temp".

Various programs stick various working files in these directories, and if
they don't get rid of them properly, there may be problems. The Forms
directory is where temporary instances of, I guess, the libraries of the
RefEdits and other objects are kept.

- Jon
-------
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Brettjg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

WOW! there's 586mb of stuff in there, and given that thy're all temps I guess
I can delete the lot eh? Sorry about my nervousness, but I've had far too man
problems with this machine to just jump in. Regards, Brett

"Brettjg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, delete those .tmp files, I clean out the "%temp%" folder each
night before shutting down.
The other thing you can do, is to clean the code modules.
That will take a little longer...
Copy the code from each module out to Notepad or an equivalent.
If desired, export the existing modules to some folder.
Delete the modules.
Add new modules and paste the code from Notepad back into the
new modules. (compile and save)
Besides reducing/eliminating corruption in the modules, this
procedure can reduce the size of the modules.

You may get some advice to download and use a code cleaner
add-in. There seem to be many people satisfied with it, but I
have only generated crashes using it. It does essentially what I
described above.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Brettjg"

"Jon Peltier" wrote:
A quick way to find the temp directory is to hold the Windows button and
click R (or go to the Start menu and select Run), Enter %temp% in the box,
and press Enter. It's located at "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\Temp".

Various programs stick various working files in these directories, and if
they don't get rid of them properly, there may be problems. The Forms
directory is where temporary instances of, I guess, the libraries of the
RefEdits and other objects are kept.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jim. I actually have a code cleaner which I use fairly regularly. By
way of example I ran it earlier and it PERSONAL.XLS reduced from 2.5mb back
down to 1.1 (i had made some changes to the code yesterday and today, but not
very extensive - I have no idea why it expands so much in size). I've been
using the code cleaner for about 12 months.

When you say it has generated crashes, how do you know that it was
attributable to the code cleaner? Does Excel crash sraight after you have
done a clean perhaps, or is there some other indicator. Where I'm going here
is to wonder if it's the code cleaner causing my crashes. Certainly they
happen without co-incidence of running the code cleaner. I hadn't run it for
some months but still got crashes.

Before I run the cleaner I always backup PERSONAL.XLS onto a flashstick, and
bypass the code cleaner's own .bak file.

If it is the code cleaner causing the crashes I suppose I could copy all the
code into word and recreate the modules.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Your help is much appreciated. Regards,
Brett.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:
A quick way to find the temp directory is to hold the Windows button and
click R (or go to the Start menu and select Run), Enter %temp% in the box,
and press Enter. It's located at "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\Temp".

Various programs stick various working files in these directories, and if
they don't get rid of them properly, there may be problems. The Forms
directory is where temporary instances of, I guess, the libraries of the
RefEdits and other objects are kept.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The crashes, I mentioned, occurred during the "cleaning".
My guess is that if the cleaning code completes its routine, any
subsequent crashes are not related.

I doubt that using Word to temporarily hold code would be wise,
as you could end up with formatting codes hooked into what should
be plain text.

People wiser than me, say that code modules should be limited
to 64kb in size.

Have you tried uninstalling (removing the checkmark) from all
of you add-ins? There could be conflicts.

You will lose all of your toolbar customizations, but deleting the
..xlb file could help. Do it with all add-ins unchecked and Excel closed.
The file automatically recreates itself when Excel restarts.

What about Detect and Repair?

And... with 20 modules in your personal.xls, my money is on some
part of your code causing the crashes.

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA