Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007

Thanks for your thoughtd and help Bon

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Quite honestly mate, that sounds like a system problem, I don't suffer such
problems.

Responded on the other thread too!

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hi Bob, thanks for your thoughts. Here's a typical example of the rubbish
have to put up with in Excel 2003. While a macro was running just now, you
sent me your response, so I clicked on "Read the response" in Outlook, and
Excel crashed. I would have thought that you should be able to use a
modern
computer with more than one window while a macro is running. BTW, I posted
further question to your about the bold font thing. The Textframe doesn't
work with a shape array apparently. Thanks, Brett

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I run Excel 2003 extensively, for some intricate applications, and I just
do
not get the regular crashing of Excel that you describe. In fact 2003 is
by
far the most stable, the best Excel that I have ever used.

Excel 2007 has had a fair amount of work to make it more efficient, and
more
secure, but not stable AFAIK. The VBA is not very different and so should
not present too many compatibility issues (biggest change is probably
that
FileSearch is gone), but the object model is very different and may
require
coding changes. There is no simple answer I am afraid, it is a case of
migrating and testing it. I have many apps that have migrated with no
changes, many that have needed changes, but in most cases where the
change
has been larger has been because I decided to do different thins in the
2007
version.

The other thing to note is that 2007 is very different in terms of the
user
experience than 2003. Some love it, some don't - it is the marmite of
spreadsheets.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Brettjg" wrote in message
Hello out there. I'm currently using XP 2003 with Excel 2003 and I've
got
particular suite of pretty intricate spreadsheets that use about 1mb of
VB
code.

I've heard that upgrading to Excel 2007/Vista is not so easy to do
because
of incompatibility, and I don't want the grief of a complete
rewrite/modification. On the other hand I'm sick to bloody death of
Excel
2003 crashing because it feels like it.

What are your thoughts please? I'm happy to hear many views on this.
Regards, Brett.