Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLOOKUP return #N/A

If VLOOKUP(A6,B6:C30,3,FALSE) returns #N/A (error value),
can I convert that #N/A into a blank cell?
If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi William,

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A6,$B$6:$C$30,2,FALSE)),"",
VLOOKUP(A6,$B$6:$C$30,2,FALSE))

Note that the table array in vlookup must be absolute with the $ signs. Also
the above is one line even though it may appear as 2 lines in this post.

OssieMac

"William Beard" wrote:

If VLOOKUP(A6,B6:C30,3,FALSE) returns #N/A (error value),
can I convert that #N/A into a blank cell?
If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I meant to add that your column index number can't be greater than the number
of columns in the table array. You have 3 in your example and only 2 columns
in the table array.

OssieMac

"William Beard" wrote:

If VLOOKUP(A6,B6:C30,3,FALSE) returns #N/A (error value),
can I convert that #N/A into a blank cell?
If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:22:36 -0800, "William Beard"
wrote:

If VLOOKUP(A6,B6:C30,3,FALSE) returns #N/A (error value),
can I convert that #N/A into a blank cell?
If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

Are you sure that you want to use that formula?
You are trying to look for a value in the third column of a range that
is only two columns wide. That will always result in a #N/A.

You can not return a blank cell from a worksheet function.
But if it is OK to return an empty string, "", that will display as
blank, then you may try the following formula:

=IF(ISNA( your formula goes here), "", your formula goes here too )

This can be useful for a formult that does not always return #N/A.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry about the typo.
Your solution fits like a glove.
Glad you were there. You'll make me look like a genius.

Thank you...