Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compare rows

This array-entered** formula should do what you want...

=10-MAX(IF(A1:J1<A2:J2,COLUMN(A1:J1),0))

**Commit formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter by itself.

Note... the value of 10 represents the column number of the last column in
the range (Column J is the 10th column).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Jan Kronsell" wrote in message
I column A to J, row 1 and two I have numbers between 1 and 9.

It might look like this

1 1 1 2 3 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1 8 2 1 1 1 1

What I need is a function that compares the two rows, like this:

If J1 and J2 contains the same number, it must be counted.
Next it should test i I1 and I2 contaisn the same number. I n that case it
should be addes to the counter.
The code should go on like this until it meets to numbers, thatr are not
the same. Then it should stop counting and return the resulat of the
counter.

In other words it shold compare the numbers in row 1 and 2, going
backwatrds from column J to column A. The first time two numbers are not
the same, it should stop, and return the number counted.

Maby the function could be entered like =COUNTALIKE(A1:J2) and the above
caee the result should be 4 as there are four numbers, that are the same,
before the that are not.

Jan

Compare rows Joel Excel Programming 0 January 15th 09 06:57 PM
compare rows Papa Jonah Excel Programming 0 August 6th 08 06:13 PM
Compare Rows [email protected] Excel Programming 1 April 30th 08 08:48 PM
Compare rows? sandernoteborn Excel Worksheet Functions 6 May 8th 06 05:47 PM
compare rows... Jim C.[_3_] Excel Programming 0 August 1st 03 04:12 AM