Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro security level

I have an Excel application that contains macros. On opening the user gets
prompted to enable macros (security level set to medium). On enable macros
the user is prompted for a file password, followed by entering their
individual username and password ( controlled by my macros). This is correct.
I have an end user that although setting the security level to medium doesn't
get the macro security level message on opening, but goes straight to the
file password - this means that the macros have not been enabled and the
application fails.

Is the problem with my application or his excel ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jan 12, 9:26*am, MichaelW
wrote:
I have an Excel application that contains macros. On opening the user gets
prompted to enable macros (security level set to medium). On enable macros
the user is prompted for a file password, followed by entering their
individual username and password ( controlled by my macros). This is correct.
I have an end user that although setting the security level to medium doesn't
get the macro security level message on opening, but goes straight to the
file password - this means that the macros have not been enabled and the
application fails.

Is the problem with my application or his excel ?

It's a feature (spelt B U G) of excel - I think it's related to memory
at the time of using the program but cannot be certain - the fix is
rather silly, in that if you set the security to LOW, it is treated as
medium and gives the prompt (at the moment, Medium is being read as
HIGH so no response)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What password did you use to protect the opening of the file--password to open
or password to modify?

If you used password to open, then I don't have a guess.

But if you used password to modify, I'm betting that this user doesn't have
write access to the drive/folder that contains your file. And excel/windows
work together and notice that and just open the file in read-only mode. (Do you
see [Read-Only] in the title bar?)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks - I'll remember this if and when it occurs again. It being a B U
G (oops sorry FEATURE

" wrote:

On Jan 12, 9:26 am, MichaelW
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think it's a feature or a bug.

I've never seen the problem in real life and I've never seen any post that
describes this situation as a bug--except for this thread.

MichaelW wrote:

I have an Excel application that contains macros. On opening the user gets
prompted to enable macros (security level set to medium). On enable macros
the user is prompted for a file password, followed by entering their
individual username and password ( controlled by my macros). This is correct.
I have an end user that although setting the security level to medium doesn't
get the macro security level message on opening, but goes straight to the
file password - this means that the macros have not been enabled and the
application fails.

Is the problem with my application or his excel ?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I must admit neither have I, this is the first time I have had a problem with
the application - and its being used by nearly 1000 end-users on 1000
different PCs. Unfortunately, I am unable to verify the problem - I don't
have access to their PC, so can only take their word that they have set the
security level correctly.