Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default using variables in listbox

"Other things" is essential here.

My crystal ball has its new year cleaning, so I am at the moment depending
on someone telling me details. If you know someone that can do that, please
post here.

Also, it would help to know what the listbox/userform contains and is meant
to do.

Best wishes Harald

"John" wrote in message
Here's my problem. The program runs until "UserForm1.Show" which opens the
listbox and everything works great. I run code similar to what you offered
below and have my data in an array.

But now what? I want to close the listbox and use the data to do other
things. If I do "Unload UserForm1" all the variables are wiped out.

I have a command button "OK" on the userform but the manual I used (Excel
VBA Programming for Dummies) didn't say what to use for it. The only thing
I know is "unload userform1."

Thanks

Harald Staff wrote:
Hi John

Sure. Question is, pass them from the listbox and to what ?

General way to scan the listbox for selections:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim L As Long
For L = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
If Me.ListBox1.Selected(L) = True Then
MsgBox Me.ListBox1.List(L)
End If
Next
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"John" wrote in message
My first attempts at using listboxes.

have listbox in a user form with multiple selections.

Is there a way to pass the selections out of the listbox? Right now when
I close the listbox all the variables holding the selections disappear
too.

Or to do more with the selections do I just hide the listbox?

Thanks

JOhn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Business is mental health clinic

The workbook holds client records. 1 worksheet per client. Each
worksheet holds record of interactions/durations for billing to
client/insurance/state or federal programs.

Data (date of session, time, type) is entered directly on the worksheets
right now. That's ok for individual sessions but is tedious for groups
because yo are entering the same data over and over for 10-15 clients.
Which clients are in group changes from day to day.

So: Want to present a list of clients eligible for group therapy: Office
manager clicks which were in a group, the date, and the duration and all
those records are automatically added to each client's record saving a
lot of time.

I set up a list box in a userform and got it populated with the right
names. Everything works just dandy except it looks crappy. I have to
take the entered data, do a check with the user that it is correct and
enter it into the worksheets while the listbox is still open
superimposed on a worksheet.

I want to either hide the userform or unload it. I can't seem to do either.

I've tried setting the variables as public in general and I've tried
..hide userform1 in the listbox routine. Nothing works

It's really a problem of making things look tidy and professional. The
mechanics work fine.

Hope this explains it.
John

"John" wrote in message
My first attempts at using listboxes.

have listbox in a user form with multiple selections.

Is there a way to pass the selections out of the listbox? Right now
when I close the listbox all the variables holding the selections
disappear too.

Or to do more with the selections do I just hide the listbox?

Thanks

JOhn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John

See if this get you started:

Code in Module1 (or some other, a standard module from the Insert - Module
menu):

Option Explicit '****** top of module

Public Selections() As String

Sub MyProgram()
Dim i As Long
UserForm1.Show
For i = LBound(Selections) To UBound(Selections)
MsgBox Selections(i) & " was chosen"
'write stuff to the right sheet here instead of message
Next
End Sub

Code for the OK button in the userform module:

Private Sub CommandButtonOK_Click()
ReDim Selections(0)
Dim L As Long, i As Long
i = -1
For L = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
If Me.ListBox1.Selected(L) = True Then
i = i + 1
ReDim Preserve Selections(i)
Selections(i) = Me.ListBox1.List(L)
End If
Next
Unload Me
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"John" wrote in message
My first attempts at using listboxes.

have listbox in a user form with multiple selections.

Is there a way to pass the selections out of the listbox? Right now
when I close the listbox all the variables holding the selections
disappear too.

Or to do more with the selections do I just hide the listbox?

Thanks

JOhn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yup... that helped. It's all working pretty well now. My only complaint
is that the listbox has a title of userform1. Up in the top blue part.
Is there a way to change that? Or do I have to start over and anme it
what I want from the start?

Thanks

John