Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Default How do I make this code shorter? Its Result should be given to var

Sub Try()

Dim x, a, BonRow, BonCol, Bon As Integer

Bon = ActiveCell.Row = 2 And ActiveCell.Row <= 12
BonRow = 12
BonCol = 4

If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 2 And ActiveCell.Column <= 4) Then
Cells(2, 4).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 5 And ActiveCell.Column <= 7) Then
Cells(2, 7).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 8 And ActiveCell.Column <= 10) Then
Cells(2, 10).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 11 And ActiveCell.Column <= 13) Then
Cells(2, 13).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 14 And ActiveCell.Column <= 16) Then
Cells(2, 16).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 17 And ActiveCell.Column <= 19) Then
Cells(2, 19).Select
x = BonRow
Else
If Bon And (ActiveCell.Column = 20 And ActiveCell.Column <= 22) Then
Cells(2, 22).Select
x = BonRow

Do

ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=(RC[-2])+(RC[-1])"
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=(RC[-2])+(RC[-1])"

Loop Until ActiveCell.Row = x

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What is the code supposed to do?
Are you a having problem with it? (If so, try removing one "End If")
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Jay"

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message
[...]

End Sub

No actually this does works, the problem is that as I look at this like its only reiterating, so im figuring a way how to make this code short and easier to read.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Actually your code will not run as it does not compile.
It has an extra End If. You must have a very compliant computer. <g
You also did not say what the code is meant to do.
Nevertheless, I decided that it is designed to calculate the square
footage of the apartments you are remodeling. So this is your lucky day...
'--
Sub Try_R1()
Dim x As Long
Dim BonRow As Long
Dim BonCol As Long
Dim Bon As Long
Dim Rw As Long
Dim Cl As Long

Bon = ActiveCell.Row = 2 And ActiveCell.Row <= 12
If Not Bon Then Exit Sub
BonRow = 12
BonCol = 4
x = BonRow
Cl = ActiveCell.Column

Select Case True
Case Cl = 2 And Cl <= 4
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 4), x)
Case Cl = 5 And Cl <= 7
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 7), x)
Case Cl = 8 And Cl <= 10
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 10), x)
Case Cl = 11 And Cl <= 13
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 13), x)
Case Cl = 14 And Cl <= 16
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 16), x)
Case Cl = 17 And Cl <= 19
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 19), x)
Case Cl = 20 And Cl <= 22
Call MoreFormulas(Cells(2, 22), x)
End Select
End Sub
'--
Function MoreFormulas(ByRef rCell As Excel.Range, ByRef xx As Long)
Do
rCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=(RC[-2])+(RC[-1])"
Set rCell = rCell.Offset(1, 0)
Loop Until rCell.Row = xx
End Function
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Jim Cone" wrote:
What is the code supposed to do?
Are you a having problem with it? (If so, try removing one "End If")
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

No actually this does works, the problem is that as I look at this like its
only reiterating, so im figuring a way how to make this code short and easier
to read.

Is it ok if I send you a file. its hard to explain.

"Nigel" wrote:

Your code as it stands fails, what are you trying to achieve?

Nigel

"Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hi Jim Cone,

i find your code useful but I haven't use it yet. Anyway I have a program
here that was created by someone and its intended for me to analyze the this
system, but with my knowledge I guess It'll take so much time for me
analyzing it and its urgently needed to be updated. You are very fluent with
function/s, almost the entire program was created with function. Can I seek
your help regarding this?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Jay

"Jay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How do I make this code shorter?

Would this work?

Sub Try()
Dim Rw As Long
Dim Cl As Long
Dim C As Long
Dim Valid As Boolean

With ActiveCell
Rw = .Row
Cl = .Column
End With

Valid = Rw = 2 And Rw <= 12 And _
Cl = 2 And Cl <= 22

If Not Valid Then Exit Sub

'// Get new column
C = 3 * Int((Cl + 4) / 3) - 2

'// Fill in Formula down to row 12
Range(Cells(Rw, C), Cells(12, C)).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]"
End Sub

= = =
HTH
Dana DeLouis

Jay wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dana,
I did say it was Jay's lucky day. <g
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Dana DeLouis"

wrote in message
How do I make this code shorter?

Would this work?

Sub Try()
Dim Rw As Long
Dim Cl As Long
Dim C As Long
Dim Valid As Boolean

With ActiveCell
Rw = .Row
Cl = .Column
End With

Valid = Rw = 2 And Rw <= 12 And _
Cl = 2 And Cl <= 22

If Not Valid Then Exit Sub

'// Get new column
C = 3 * Int((Cl + 4) / 3) - 2

'// Fill in Formula down to row 12
Range(Cells(Rw, C), Cells(12, C)).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]"
End Sub

= = =
HTH
Dana DeLouis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Make a brand new separate post and somebody will be along to help.

This contains good advice about asking newsgroup questions...
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Jay"

wrote in message
Hi Jim Cone,
i find your code useful but I haven't use it yet. Anyway I have a program
here that was created by someone and its intended for me to analyze the this
system, but with my knowledge I guess It'll take so much time for me
analyzing it and its urgently needed to be updated. You are very fluent with
function/s, almost the entire program was created with function. Can I seek
your help regarding this?
Thank you very much.
Regards,
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

C = 3 * Int((Cl + 4) / 3) - 2

Slightly better might be just an offset equation...

Sub Try2()
Dim Rw As Long
Dim Cl As Long
Dim C As Long

Rw = ActiveCell.Row
Cl = ActiveCell.Column

If Not (Rw = 2 And Rw <= 12 And _
Cl = 2 And Cl <= 22) Then Exit Sub

'// Offset by 2,1,or 0
C = Cl + 2 - (Cl + 1) Mod 3

'// Fill in Formula down to row 12
Range(Cells(Rw, C), Cells(12, C)).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]"
End Sub

- - -
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How do I make this code shorter?

Maybe not as clear, but...

Sub Try4()
Dim R As Long
Dim C As Long

R = ActiveCell.Row
C = ActiveCell.Column

If Not (R = 2 And R <= 12 And _
C = 2 And C <= 22) Then Exit Sub

'// Fill in Formula down to row 12
Cells(R, C + 2 - (C + 1) Mod 3).Resize(12 - R + 1) = "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]"
End Sub

= = =
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jay Jay is offline

Hey thanks this is the exact one ,Im trying to modify the values of this code
"C = Cl + 2 - (Cl + 1) Mod 3" so it will compute after 3 columns. but I cant
get the exact value. Need help thanks.

Jay

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

C = 3 * Int((Cl + 4) / 3) - 2

Slightly better might be just an offset equation...

Sub Try2()
Dim Rw As Long
Dim Cl As Long
Dim C As Long

Rw = ActiveCell.Row
Cl = ActiveCell.Column

If Not (Rw = 2 And Rw <= 12 And _
Cl = 2 And Cl <= 22) Then Exit Sub

'// Offset by 2,1,or 0
C = Cl + 2 - (Cl + 1) Mod 3

'// Fill in Formula down to row 12
Range(Cells(Rw, C), Cells(12, C)).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]+RC[-1]"
End Sub

- - -
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

Can I Make This Computation Shorter? Steve[_8_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 22 October 28th 07 08:11 PM
Shorter Code Sandy Excel Programming 2 July 7th 07 08:47 PM
How to make a contingent formula shorter... phooey Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 10 January 5th 07 06:04 PM
I wonder if you can make this shorter T Excel Worksheet Functions 0 December 23rd 04 08:47 PM
Shorter code Stu[_13_] Excel Programming 13 September 29th 03 11:27 PM