Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 2007: Close to giving up !!!

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For inserting Names Ctrl +F3 Should still work,
ALT+SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW
Groups rows or columns.
ALT+SHIFT+LEFT ARROW
Ungroups rows or columns.
CTRL+8
Displays or hides the outline symbols.
CTRL+9
Hides the selected rows.
CTRL+SHIFT+( (opening parenthesis)
Unhides any hidden rows within the selection.
CTRL+0 (zero)
Hides the selected columns.
CTRL+SHIFT+) (closing parenthesis)
Unhides any hidden columns within the selection.

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charlotte,
I installed vista & office 2007 and like you, got very frustrated with it
very quickly.
I did give up & went back to XP & 2003. I am sure the latest products have
their good points but for me, XP & 2003 work just fine!

--
jb

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have to admit Excel 2007 menubar is badly laid out, there are add on's
out there that give you the 2003 menubar layout back, however if you
want to forge ahead check this out as it will give you where the menu's
used to be and where they are now!

http://tinyurl.com/5msgkk

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=39292

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, but I didn't ask for the hotkeys to those functions - they are the
same as in XL2003 :-)
(Besides, you didn't provide the way to hide/unhide sheets, as I asked for
:-)

I want to be able to find them, point them out and execute them with the
mouse, just as I was able to do in XL2003!

New Years resolution: If XL2007 doesn't show its "incredible ease of use",
"outstanding userfriendlyness" and "powerful features" before 31.12.2008,
I'll reinstall XL2003 by 01.01.2009 - NO MATTER the hang overs!

CE

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up
!!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer
group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Right click on a sheet tab and you see a hide/unhide option

See also
http://www.rondebruin.nl/0307commands.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up
!!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer
group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Right click on a sheet tab and you see a hide/unhide option

Thanks, Ron - great idea: Make brand new Ribbons, and remove tasks from
them, so the user is even more left out in the dark!

MAN! If only Linux had Excel :-)

CE

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to
giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for,
what I think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants
ribbons or menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass
focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can also find it in the Ribbon

Home tab
Cells goup
Format
Hide/unhide

--

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to
giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for,
what I think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants
ribbons or menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass
focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

office 2007 does suck. if you want to make a document look pretty, or need more
the 65K rows and 256 columns, it's fine. but for people proficient in office
2003, especially those that write code in excel, excel 2007 is a pain in the
ass, and slow as hell, too.

--

Gary

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

office 2007 does suck. if you want to make a document look pretty, or
need more the 65K rows and 256 columns, it's fine. but for people
proficient in office 2003, especially those that write code in excel,
excel 2007 is a pain in the ass, and slow as hell, too.

Totally agree!!!
And, I'm REALLY surprised about the speed - or the the lack of!

If you ask me, Microsoft has been more concerned about JUST PUTTING OUT
SOMETHING NEW (to please the shareholders? :-), than concerened about the
end-user and their needs...

And fine that they try something new, but couldn't Microsoft at least give
the users a choice?!?
Oh, and of cause, not make applications that suddenly slows down the work!!!

Well, I stick by my word: I'll give it 5-6 weeks, but curretly it looks like
I'm going back to XL2003...

CE

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to
giving up !!! How can anything in this world be so solw and
clombersome ?!? And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time
looking for,
what I think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants
ribbons or menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass
focus/developer group suddenly think is the coolest thing since
sliced bread!? Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charlotte,
I've had a lot of headaches getting used to almost every change here.
But I have to admit that eventually, you'll see the logic in the layout, but
it might take a while. Here are some things I've come to realize that may
help ease the transition:
1. Most things that were in the Tools menu are found under the Office
Button in Excel Options.
2. Most things that were found in the Control/Forms Toolbox are under
the Developer tab, which is hidden be default. You make it visible by
changing one of the checkboxes within Excel OptionsPopular.
3. Many common tasks that relate to a worksheet can be found by
right-click on the sheet's tab itself (such as hiding/unhiding worksheets).
4. If you aren't finding the option you know should be there somewhere,
such as setting a chart type as your default chart, don't forget to click the
little tiny box-with-arrow at the bottom corner of some of the grouped ribbon
menu items.
5. The Name Manager (if you do a lot of range naming) is in the
formulas tab, and will become your new best friend, I'm totally serious
because it's far better than the old name manager. Besides, it's more logical
that naming a range relates to creating formulas, than it relates to
inserting (2003's location).
Things are better in 2007, but it does take a while to see it. What you
should see right away, is that your files are about half the size they used
to be. Also, I don't know if this was just my problem or not, but I'm used to
automatic calculations, and I think 2007 has calculations set to Manual by
default (for a long time I couldn't figure out why my conditional formatting
wouldn't act right).
And I think we all know what would happen if MS had created an option
for users to choose the 2003 menu bar over the ribbon. ;)

"Charlotte E" wrote:

I've tried installing Excel 2007, but must admit I'm close to giving up !!!
How can anything in this world be so solw and clombersome ?!?

And, also I'm finding myself spending 90% of my time looking for, what I
think is seemingly simple stuff!

Like, right now:

- Where to find the dialog for inserting and deleting names???
- Where to find the dialog for hiding and showing sheets???

There simply no logic in this Office package!!!

Why, oh why, haven't Microsoft let the user decide if he wants ribbons or
menus?!?
Why, oh why, are we forced to use what some smartass focus/developer group
suddenly think is the coolest thing since sliced bread!?

Can someone, PLEASE, help me?!?

TIA,

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And I think we all know what would happen if MS had created an
option for users to choose the 2003 menu bar over the ribbon. ;)

Nothing!
Since people wouldn't know what to complain about, if they didn't know about
ribbons :-)

Anyway, thanks for the input...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I provided a link in this post
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/141627-post4.html to the menubar and
ribbon comparisons that may help you easily find the items, there are
add in programs out there that give you your normal menu (MrExcel sells
one!)