Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Case Sensitive Input Box

I have an input box for the user to enter the full name of the month for the
report. Then there is a whole slew of code that follows. The value is then
entered into the sheet, and I have formulas that look for this value.

Unfortunately, if the user does not enter the entire name of the month and
in all caps, it doesn't work.

How can I make it so I have some kind of error-checker. For example, if the
users enters january, January, or JANYOUARIE then the code will stop, but if
the user enters JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, ... etc, then the code continues.
I cant figure out the if/then/else
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hard to give complete answer without seeing your code.

Have the first three letters of the input box text converted to uppercase
with
mytext=Mid(Ucase(text_from_input_box),1,3)
Then compare mytext to JAN, FEB .... to return JANUARY, FEBRUARY
using maybe a Select Case structure
Select Case mytext
Case "JAN" : the-month = "JANUARY"
Case "FEB" : the-month = "FEBRUARY"

Or by using arrays and an index
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Keep It Simple Stupid" wrote
in message ...
I have an input box for the user to enter the full name of the month for
the
report. Then there is a whole slew of code that follows. The value is
then
entered into the sheet, and I have formulas that look for this value.

Unfortunately, if the user does not enter the entire name of the month and
in all caps, it doesn't work.

How can I make it so I have some kind of error-checker. For example, if
the
users enters january, January, or JANYOUARIE then the code will stop, but
if
the user enters JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, ... etc, then the code
continues.
I cant figure out the if/then/else

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's hard to say how to fit this code into your existing code without seeing
it or knowing what you want to do when a bad month name is input; however,
you should be able to modify the following code to suit your purposes...

Sub Test()
Dim InputBoxText As String
Const Mnths As String = "*January*February*Marcy*April*May*June*July" & _
"*August*September*October*November*December"
'
' Assign user input to the InputBoxText variable here
'
If Len(InputBoxText) 2 And InStr(1, Mnths, "*" & _
Replace(Ans, "*", ""), vbTextCompare) 0 Then
MsgBox "The input was a valid month!"
Else
MsgBox "That is not a month name I ever saw."

The above code will test the user's input to see if it is at least 3
characters long and also test to see if those characters actually make up
the beginning text of any month name.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Keep It Simple Stupid" wrote
in message ...
I have an input box for the user to enter the full name of the month for
the
report. Then there is a whole slew of code that follows. The value is
then
entered into the sheet, and I have formulas that look for this value.

Unfortunately, if the user does not enter the entire name of the month and
in all caps, it doesn't work.

How can I make it so I have some kind of error-checker. For example, if
the
users enters january, January, or JANYOUARIE then the code will stop, but
if
the user enters JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, ... etc, then the code
continues.
I cant figure out the if/then/else

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There is a small problem with the code I posted... I changed a variable name
at the last moment and did not correct all the occurrences of that variable,
so the code won't work as posted. In addition, I performed an unneeded
correction on that variable (wouldn't affect the functionality of the code,
only its efficiency). Here is the corrected code...

Sub Test()
Dim InputBoxText As String
Const Months As String = "*January*February*Marcy*April*May*June*July" & _
"*August*September*October*November*December"
'
' Assign user input to the InputBoxText variable here
'
If Len(InputBoxText) 2 And InStr(1, Months, "*" & _
InputBoxText, vbTextCompare) 0 Then

wrote in message
I have an input box for the user to enter the full name of the month for
the
report. Then there is a whole slew of code that follows. The value is
then
entered into the sheet, and I have formulas that look for this value.

Unfortunately, if the user does not enter the entire name of the month
and
in all caps, it doesn't work.

How can I make it so I have some kind of error-checker. For example, if
the
users enters january, January, or JANYOUARIE then the code will stop, but
if
the user enters JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, ... etc, then the code
continues.
I cant figure out the if/then/else

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Incases like that, I usually use a listbox with the months spelled out and
set to single select. As soon as they click on one, it closes the the
listbox and executes the underlying code which can set up like:

RangeOnReport = UCase(ListBox1.Value) 'If you need upper case

That way you don't have to worry about mispelling or case.

"Keep It Simple Stupid" wrote:

I have an input box for the user to enter the full name of the month for the
report. Then there is a whole slew of code that follows. The value is then
entered into the sheet, and I have formulas that look for this value.

Unfortunately, if the user does not enter the entire name of the month and
in all caps, it doesn't work.

How can I make it so I have some kind of error-checker. For example, if the
users enters january, January, or JANYOUARIE then the code will stop, but if
the user enters JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, ... etc, then the code continues.
I cant figure out the if/then/else

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I feel dumb, but I'm going to ask you all to "slow it down" for me.
This is the code before and after I want the user to enter the month.

'THERE IS MORE CODE BEFORE THIS
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "DEPARTMENT"
Range("L2").Select
'THIS IS WHERE I WANT THE USER TO SELET THE MONTH
Range("a1").Select
Range("a1").Value = InputBox("IN ALL CAPS: Enter the full name of the month")
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
Sheets("Sheet2").Copy BEFO=Workbooks("MONTHTRACKER.xls").Sheets(1)
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
Range("a1").Copy
Sheets("Sheet1").Select
Range("a1").PasteSpecial

I tried looking into ListBoxes but I have never used those before and I
can't seem to find the "basics". Do you think that would be my best option
(since my months aren't going to change"? Whatever month is selected, I just
need that value to be entered into cell A1.

(It's okay to growl in frustration at my stupidity... I've got a bit of a
"grrr" going on for frustrating myself). Thanks everyone.