Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default string function

I have words that are in a cell. How do I count the first x letters of the
sentence?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Say you want the first six characters of a string in A1:

=LEFT(A1, 6)

Put the formula in the cell where you want the six letters to appear.

In VBA, you can do:

Range("B1") = Left(Range("A1"), 6)

for the same effect.