Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If Statement help

I have pretty much no VBA knowledge. I found a code and modified it to work
for archiving some files, but I need to make more tweaks to it and I am not
sure what the commands would be. I need two If statements I believe...

Right now the macro takes all the files in the current folder, tags the
modified date to the end, and moves that file to the archive folder. Then
saves the active workbook in the current folder.

1.) The problem I have is, this same macro will exist in the archive version
and I don't want people to be able to run the macro from that folder. What
do I need to add to the code so when the macro is run and the active directy
is Archive, it will not run?

2.) I also need to update it so if there is a file in the archive folder
that has the same name it will add a 1 to the end of the file name.

Here is the code its really messy. Like I said I copied it so there were
pieces in it I didn't need so I just commented them to turn them off.

Sub Copy_and_Rename_To_New_Folder()
''MUST set reference to Windows Script Host Object Model in the project
using this code!

'This procedure will copy all files in a folder, and insert the last
modified date into the file name'
'it is identical to the other procedure with the exception of the
renaming...
'In this example, the renaming has utilized the files Last Modified
date to "tag" the copied file.
'This is very useful in quickly archiving and storing daily batch files
that come through with the same name on
'a daily basis. Note: All files in current folder will be copied this
way unless condition testing applied as in prior example.

Dim objFSO As FileSystemObject, objFolder As Folder, PathExists As Boolean
Dim objFile As File, strSourceFolder As String, strDestFolder As String
Dim x, Counter As Integer, Overwrite As String, strNewFileName As String
Dim strName As String, strMid As String, strExt As String

Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'turn screenupdating off
Application.EnableEvents = False 'turn events off

'identify path names below:
strSourceFolder = "C:\current" 'Source path
strDestFolder = "C:\archive" 'destination path, does not have to exist
prior to execution
''''''''''NOTE: Path names can be strings built in code, cell
references, or user form text box strings''''''
''''''''''example: strSourceFolder = Range("A1")

'below will verify that the specified destination path exists, or it
will create it:
'On Error Resume Next
'x = GetAttr(strDestFolder) And 0
'If Err = 0 Then 'if there is no error, continue below
'PathExists = True 'if there is no error, set flag to TRUE
'Overwrite = MsgBox("The folder may contain duplicate files," &
vbNewLine & _
'"Do you wish to overwrite existing files with same name?", vbYesNo,
"Alert!")
'message to alert that you may overwrite files of the same name
since folder exists
'If Overwrite < vbYes Then Exit Sub 'if the user clicks YES, then
exit the routine..
'Else: 'if path does NOT exist, do the next steps
' PathExists = False 'set flag at false
' If PathExists = False Then MkDir (strDestFolder) 'If path does not
exist, make a new one
' End If 'end the conditional testing

On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Set objFSO = New FileSystemObject 'creates a new File System Object
reference
Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strSourceFolder) 'get the folder
Counter = 0 'set the counter at zero for counting files copied

If Not objFolder.Files.Count 0 Then GoTo NoFiles 'if no files exist in
source folder "Go To" the NoFiles section

For Each objFile In objFolder.Files 'for every file in the folder...
'parse the name in three pieces, file name middle and extension.
In between, insert the
'last modified date. Other options may be a native Date function
or a cell refernce to
'tag the renamed file in place of
=====Format(objFile.DateLastModified, "_mmm_dd_yy")===<<<<

'if strMid is not used, it can be removed or left as a null "" string

strName = Left(objFile.Name, Len(objFile.Name) - 4) 'remove
extension and leave name only
'strName = Range("A1") 'sample of renaming from cell A1, can by
used for strMid as well

strMid = Format(objFile.DateLastModified, "mm-dd-yy") 'insert and
format files date modified into name
'strMid = Format(Now(),"_mmm_dd_yy") 'sample of formatting the
current date into the file name

strExt = Right(objFile.Name, 4) 'the original file extension

strNewFileName = strName & strMid & strExt 'build the string file
name (can be done below as well)

'objFile.Copy strDestFolder & "\" & strNewFileName 'copy the file
with NEW name!

'objFile.Name = strNewFileName <====this can be used to JUST
RENAME, and not copy

'The below line can be uncommented to MOVE the files AND rename
between folders, without copying
objFile.Move strDestFolder & "\" & strNewFileName

'End If 'where conditional check, if applicable would be placed.

' Uncomment the If...End If Conditional as needed
Counter = Counter + 1
Next objFile 'go to the next file

MsgBox "Complete!"
'Message to user confirming completion

Set objFile = Nothing: Set objFSO = Nothing: Set objFolder = Nothing
'clear the objects

ActiveWorkbook.Save
ChDir strSourceFolder
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
strSourceFolder & "\TESTShip.xls", _
FileFormat:=xlNormal, _
Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
CreateBackup:=False

Exit Sub

NoFiles:
'Message to alert if Source folder has no files in it to copy
MsgBox "There Are no files or documents in : " & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
strSourceFolder & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Please verify the path!", ,
"Alert: No Files Found!"
Set objFile = Nothing: Set objFSO = Nothing: Set objFolder = Nothing
'clear the objects

Application.ScreenUpdating = True 'turn screenupdating back on
Application.EnableEvents = True 'turn events back on

Exit Sub 'exit sub here to avoid subsequent actions

ErrHandler:
'A general error message
MsgBox "Error: " & Err.Number & Err.Description & vbCrLf & vbCrLf &
vbCrLf & _
"Please verify that all files in the folder are not currently open," & _
"and the source directory is available"

Err.Clear 'clear the error
Set objFile = Nothing: Set objFSO = Nothing: Set objFolder = Nothing
'clear the objects
Application.ScreenUpdating = True 'turn screenupdating back on
Application.EnableEvents = True 'turn events back on

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For removing a module/vba code before saving check out Chip Pearsons
site look at the links at our forums
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/extraresource.php

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
www.thecodecage.com
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=23715

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the code will create a new workbook and copy the old sheet into new sheet and
the macro will not be copied.

from
ChDir strSourceFolder
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
strSourceFolder & "\TESTShip.xls", _
FileFormat:=xlNormal, _
Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
CreateBackup:=False

ChDir strSourceFolder
First = true
for each sht in activeworkbook.sheets
if First = true then
'copy sheet into new workbook
sht.copy
set newbk = activeworkbook
First = false
else
sht.copy after:=newbk.sheets(newbk.sheets.count)
end if
next sht

"Denise Pollock" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joel,

Thanks, but that code is giving me a Compile Error, saying variable is not
defined, then it Highlights "First =" in the debugger.

"Denise Pollock" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just add a delearation statement

Dim First as boolean
Dim sht as Variant

I couldn't tell from your posted code the options in VBA required all
variables to be delared.

"Denise Pollock" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I missed that one

Dim newbk As Variant

Variant will always work or leave the AS ? off

"Denise Pollock" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may want to close the archieve workbook and the end of the code

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _
strSourceFolder & "\TESTShip.xls", _
FileFormat:=xlNormal, _
Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, _
CreateBackup:=False
ActiveWorkbook.close