Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Another Days, Hours, Minutes, Question

Reading through the Discussion Group I find many Date/Time questions and
answers but none I can find that meets my exact needs. The topics seem to
address Hours, Days, with or w/o weekends, holiday, work hours, or work days,
etc. €“ not just vanilla output containing the calculated Day(s), Hours, and
Minutes between two dates.

Below is an example of a small spreadsheet used to capture equipment runtime
for history and other tasks. I've used this spreadsheet for several years
(my first attempt at excel €“ too embarrassed to show formula) and sometimes I
am suspect of the results. I truly believe that one of you gifted ladies
and/or gentlemen can provide me with a simple Macro to end my doubts€¦

Thanks..

A B C
1 Start Time Current
2 Name Date / Time Run Time
3 Widget 1 04/24/2008 22:13 dd:hh:mm
4 Widget 2 10/12/2008 20:55 dd:hh:mm
5 Widget 3 10/02/2008 04:19 dd:hh:mm
6 Widget 4 11/06/2008 23:59 dd:hh:mm
7
8
9 =now()

-- 24 x 7 x 365 Industry -- forget weekends, holidays, work hours, etc.€¦
-- 24 hour time format
-- Cell A9 would contain present time/date function -- now() or today()
whichever is best.
-- C3 would contain A9-B3 in dd:hh:mm
-- C4 would contain A9-B4 in dd:hh:mm
-- C5 would contain A9-B5 in dd:hh:mm
-- C6 would contain A9-B6 in dd:hh:mm
-- Data in B3, B4, B5, & B6 will be input when Widget is started
-- If the widget is going to be "off" for an extended time period, I will
input the planned future start time/date so employees can see remaining time
"countdown" till startup
-- Widget runtime is not predicable (wish it was) €“ maybe hours, days,
months, or years..

Thanks again -- Shagnasty....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not getting what your problem is, what are you looking for help with?

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"ShagNasty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:34:01 -0700, ShagNasty
wrote:

[...]

There are a few issues to be considered.

First of all, your result will have to be a text string, as the dd format will
not go over 31.

There can also be some issues with negative numbers.

So, as one possible solution, you could use this formula to display the results
in the format you request:

=IF($A$9<B3,"-","")&ABS(TRUNC($A$9-B3))&":"&TEXT(ABS(MOD($A$9-B3,1)),"hh:mm")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry for the rambling...
I need a routine for computing a time period -- using a historical date
(hh:dd:mm) subtracted from the present date (now()), output as dd:hh:mm.
This will be 24hrs/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year operation, no limit to
period length.

I've read messages concerning issues when calculating time over days when
you want it in days, hours, minutes format -- using +1 or -1 to get correct
days or minutes when exceeding 24 hours.

Just looking for a better routine..

Thanks,

"ShagNasty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

Correction, so that negative values are properly displayed:

=TRUNC(C3)&":"&TEXT(ABS(C3-TRUNC(C3)),"hh:mm")

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

This one should be correct :-(

=IF(B3$A$9,"-","")&TRUNC($A$9-B3)&":"&TEXT(ABS($A$9-B3-TRUNC($A$9-B3)),"hh:mm")
--ron