Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File and Folder Permissions

I have an Excel Add-In in the server. Its specific location is in the folder
Q:\OSY TP\Add Ins\ and I have full control over the folders located in Q:\. I
want users to be able to execute the Add-In, but want to prevent them from
copying the file. How do I accomplish this task?
--
Carlos
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Carlos,

Consider having your vba code check for the directory that it is located.
If the saved location is not in the correct directory path (ie: the Q:\OSY
TP\Add Ins\), then issue message to user that the copy they are using is not
valid and close the xla.

Lock the vba with a password.

While this will not prevent a hacker, it will prevent normal users from
making a mistake.

--
Thx
MSweetG222

"Carlos" wrote:

I have an Excel Add-In in the server. Its specific location is in the folder
Q:\OSY TP\Add Ins\ and I have full control over the folders located in Q:\. I
want users to be able to execute the Add-In, but want to prevent them from
copying the file. How do I accomplish this task?
--
Carlos

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I want to do, is to prevent users from accessing the file via the
Windows Explorer but at the same time letting them read and execute the
Add-In. So, even if the code checks the location of the Add-In, they would be
able to browse the directory, copy the file and then crack the code.

I tried restricting users permissions, in particular, the properties
"Traverse Folder / Execute File" and "List Folder / Read Data" and it worked:
they couldn't browse the folder, but they were also unable to run the Add-In.

I guess it's impossible to "copy-inhibit" the Add-In.

--
Carlos