Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default comparing lists

I want to compare 2 lists and extract the differences to a third, and
indicate why they are different.
I have a list of 300+ current employees, but current as of a few months ago.
Every few months HR sends a current list as of right now.
Is it possible to populate a third sheet by comparing the 2 lists, and
having employees on the new list only marked as a new hire, and those on the
old list only marked as terminated?
I can do it on each sheet separately, but I am trying to be elegant.

Thanks,
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand your sources, the "new" list won't have the "terminated"
employees, so that list will tell us the new hires. Your "old" list will
tell us the "terminated" employees. You could add one column to each sheet
that tells you the new hires on the new sheet and the terminated ones on the
old sheet. That's pretty easy. The new column's formula would be something
like:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(F7,$D$4:$D$9,1,FALSE)),"New Hire","")

Where the $D4:$D9 would be the range on the Old sheet. For the teminated
sheet, change the $D4:$D9 range to be the new sheet and change the "New Hire"
to "Terminated".

If you then need a "Pretty" sheet that shows just the news and the
terminateds, copy the VALUES for the formulas from each of the sheets, paste
them to the 3rd sheet and sort to get rid of the blanks.