Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FVO FVO is offline

Default How do I set auto-sort for a column in a worksheet?

Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME PHONE ADDRESS CONTRACT WK1 WK2
Phil 123-456
Angel 321-654
John 987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you are asking for can be done but I would make it more semi automatic
than automatic. Your end users are going to find it very disconcerting to add
a customer and have the sheet automatically resort. They enter the customer
name and the sheet resorts. Now the customer they were working on is
somewhere in the list and they need to go find it to enter the rest of the
customer data... I would just add a button and attach a sort macro to it. You
can also have the sheet resort when the user leaves the sheet. I have had a
lot more luck with that...

The button is very straight forward to do. If you want help with the resort
on leaving the sheet just reply...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"FVO" wrote:

Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME PHONE ADDRESS CONTRACT WK1 WK2
Phil 123-456
Angel 321-654
John 987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not add a command button to the sheet, so you can sort on demand?

Then just record a macro of yourself sorting on whatever field you
want, and attach the code to the button. It will re-sort every time
you click.

HTH
--JP

On Oct 7, 1:50*pm, FVO wrote:
Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME * * PHONE * * ADDRESS * * CONTRACT * * WK1 * * WK2
Phil * * * *123-456 *
Angel * * 321-654
John * * *987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet *to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FVO FVO is offline

Jim;
What you are saying about a command bottom seems to be the best option.
Could you help me with it? Thanks in advance!

"FVO" wrote:

Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME PHONE ADDRESS CONTRACT WK1 WK2
Phil 123-456
Angel 321-654
John 987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FVO FVO is offline

JP;

You and Jim have the same opinion and it seems to be the best. I'm very
novice with excell. Could you (or Jim) help on that Command Buttom and adding
the MACRO to it? THANKS!!

FVO

On Oct 7, 1:50 pm, FVO wrote:
Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME PHONE ADDRESS CONTRACT WK1 WK2
Phil 123-456
Angel 321-654
John 987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Record a macro whereby you sort the range in question. Name it "SortStuff" or
something similar.

On the forms toolbar there is acommand button object. Click it and draw a
button on your sheet. When you finish drawing it a dialog will come up asking
you to assing a macro. Assign your macro and you are good to go...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"FVO" wrote:

Hi;
I need to create a worksheet to keep record of customers.
I have the following example:
NAME PHONE ADDRESS CONTRACT WK1 WK2
Phil 123-456
Angel 321-654
John 987-630

I need to keep the first row as the titles row, and need the worksheet to
automatically sort in alphabetical order based on the name, and to do it
everytime a new customer is added to the list.

HOW CAN I DO THAT?

Regards,
FVO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Follow Jim's advice in his last post :)

If you need to locate the Forms toolbar, just go to View Menu,
Toolbars, Forms.

--JP