Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Applescript: get range of selection

Hopefully someone can help me, because if not I will not be able to migrate
my current collection of Applescripts to work with either Excel 2004 or Excel
2008 (I've been using Excel X because it still works).

So, this seems so simple that it should be obvious, but it's not. I've tried
just about everything, and my colleagues and I cannot come to a solution. I
want to get the range (preferably in "A1" format) of the currently selected
cell. That's it. Whether it's a range object or text, it doesn't matter. I
need to have the range itself to be able to pass to other functions and use
elsewhere after it is asked for. I can't simply always refer to the
selection. In fact, many of my scripts work much faster when I don't always
select the cell I want to work with. Here's the code snippet:

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
set rangeA1 to range of selection
return rangeA1
end tell

I always end up with a "missing value". I realize it is possible to get the
row and column, but many of Excel's commands after Excel X don't like R1C1
format for ranges.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
-Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

G'day Richard

Just finished night shift, so this may appear to be a dumb question...!

Does the Workbook you are attempting to access have more than 1 sheet, if
so, you need to specify the sheet name as the pointer for excel to go to..

Try this link:

Copy a range from closed workbook (Local, Network and on the internet)

http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy7.htm

If this doesn't help, goto Ron's main page

http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

You may find something that could point you in the right direction.

HTH
MArk.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Richard8A -

If you don't get assistance in microsoft.public.excel.programming, I suggest
you post in the very active microsoft.public.mac.office.excel newsgroup.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel