Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to obscure functionality

I've got a spreadsheet which I'm about to start leasing to paying
users. I want to create a fully functional demo version that will
lock up after a period and have its formulas and especially its VBA
code obscured and protected against copying.

Knowing how easy it is to crack the password on spreadsheets, I know
that just putting a standard password on it isn't going to do much.

So what are my options?

I know about time bombing, and about inserting various date sensitive
bugs in cell formulas =if(today()bombdate,cause error,formula), but I
want to make it harder to copy.

I'm most concerned about hiding the VBA. If I can lock up the VBA
somehow so the code can't be viewed or copied that would protect the
most valuable parts of the intellectual property.

Travis