Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Orion Cochrane Orion Cochrane is offline

Default How to obscure functionality

What is time bombing? Does this compare the difference between 2 dates and
disables functionality after a set amount of days?
--
I am running on Excel 2003, unless otherwise stated. Please rate posts so we
know when we have answered your questions. Thanks.

"travis" wrote:

I've got a spreadsheet which I'm about to start leasing to paying
users. I want to create a fully functional demo version that will
lock up after a period and have its formulas and especially its VBA
code obscured and protected against copying.

Knowing how easy it is to crack the password on spreadsheets, I know
that just putting a standard password on it isn't going to do much.

So what are my options?

I know about time bombing, and about inserting various date sensitive
bugs in cell formulas =if(today()bombdate,cause error,formula), but I
want to make it harder to copy.

I'm most concerned about hiding the VBA. If I can lock up the VBA
somehow so the code can't be viewed or copied that would protect the
most valuable parts of the intellectual property.

Travis