Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default why do I have to have the table files.xls open in memory to query

I have data tables in separate excel files and I query them from other .xls
files in database functions like dsum, dget, davg.

Should I have to have those data files open even when they are in the same
directory? I thought my database functions like dsum, etc., would just go
out and get the data from the excel tables in the same directory without
opening them. Why won't it do that?

--
Please contact me by email if you have an answer to this question. I
appreciate it.