Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reading Data from an Excel Sheet

I'm currently working on a ASP.NET solution to collect performance review
data (mostly free text fields) for a client who want to replace a solution
developed in Excel. Currently users fill in a locked down exel workbook with
the data and keep their own copy etc.

What I'd like to do is offer a facility to upload their spreadsheets into
the new ASP application and it automatically extract the data in the DB when
they migrate to the new solution.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to acheive this with
VS2008/ASP.NET 3.5. The spreadsheets are Office 2003.

Thanks In Advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Andrew
You don't really want Excel on a server so automation options are out
if the data is well structured you can use ADO (JET) to extract values.
Or you could look at commercial .xls (biff) readers
Or you could get them to save as xml (spreadsheet ml?) from 2003 and
parse that - there may be tools available
Or you could do something on the desktop that just send you the info you
want in a format you can use directly.

hth
Cheers
Simon