Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Multi-column Dropdown combox on a commandbar

mhi,

is it possible to have a dropdown combox on a toolbar that has more than one
column of data? I have tried using the following syntax:
dim ctl as commandbarcombobox

set ctl = Commandbars("test").controls.add(Type:=msoControlD ropdown)
ctl.additem "1;first item"
ctl.additem "2;second item"
or
ctl.additem "1,first item"
ctl.additem "2,second item"
but both only give a single column. How would I create a 2 column dropdown
comobobox on a toolbar, then populate it?

thanks in advance,
Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure that this can be done. But I guess my question to you is why would
you need more then one column showing off the menu bar? You can only select
one item to execute.

"Chris Wilkinson" wrote:

mhi,

is it possible to have a dropdown combox on a toolbar that has more than one
column of data? I have tried using the following syntax:
dim ctl as commandbarcombobox

set ctl = Commandbars("test").controls.add(Type:=msoControlD ropdown)
ctl.additem "1;first item"
ctl.additem "2;second item"
or
ctl.additem "1,first item"
ctl.additem "2,second item"
but both only give a single column. How would I create a 2 column dropdown
comobobox on a toolbar, then populate it?

thanks in advance,
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi Kent,

it is for formatting purposes. the dropdown contains a list of codes, each
with a corresponding piece of text. When a particular row of the dropdown is
selected, the code is put into one cell and the corresponding text into the
adjacent cell. If it is all information is in one column of the dropdown, it
looks messy, e.g:
A1 Sample collection
A12 Next Sample
B1 Newer sample.
I would like the start of each piece of text to line up neatly. Using VBtab
does not work either.