Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding a selection of values and storing result in a variable

This may have been asked before but - I regularly need to find the sum of a
(random) selection of values on a worksheet by selecting the range by and/or
holding down the SPACEBAR or CTRL key and then viewing the sum of the values
on the status bar. Idealy, I would like to press a button to start a macro to
add up all the values that have been selected and store the result in a
variable so that then this value can be pasted elsewhere. Any suggestions on
the coding?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could loop though the cells collection, of the selection in the
activesheet - whilst looping each cells value could be added to a
variable.
The above should be pretty easy: let me know if you are struggling.

Then to get the variable onto the clipboard some code like the
following might help:

Set DataObj = New MSForms.DataObject
DataObj.SetText myVariableAmount
DataObj.PutInClipboard

....you'll need to add a reference to the following library for the
above to work: Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library

Hope this helps
Jason.

On 11 Sep, 13:32, Simka wrote:
This may have been asked before but - I regularly need to find the sum of a
(random) selection of values on a worksheet by selecting the range by and/or
holding down the SPACEBAR or CTRL key and then viewing the sum of the values
on the status bar. Idealy, I would like to press a button to start a macro to
add up all the values that have been selected and store the result in a
variable so that then this value can be pasted elsewhere. Any suggestions on
the coding?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is a little macro that uses Z100 as a "helper" cell:

Sub simka()
With Range("Z100")
.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Selection)
.Copy
End With
End Sub

You can assign the macro to a button or give it a shortcut key.

After running the macro, click on some other cell and CNTRL-v or
Edit Paste

will depost the sum.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200804

"Simka" wrote:

This may have been asked before but - I regularly need to find the sum of a
(random) selection of values on a worksheet by selecting the range by and/or
holding down the SPACEBAR or CTRL key and then viewing the sum of the values
on the status bar. Idealy, I would like to press a button to start a macro to
add up all the values that have been selected and store the result in a
variable so that then this value can be pasted elsewhere. Any suggestions on
the coding?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks that helped a treat, it's exactly wanted I was after.

PS. I should have said:

.....holding down the SHIFT or CTRL key and then.....

Simka

"Simka" wrote:

This may have been asked before but - I regularly need to find the sum of a
(random) selection of values on a worksheet by selecting the range by and/or
holding down the SPACEBAR or CTRL key and then viewing the sum of the values
on the status bar. Idealy, I would like to press a button to start a macro to
add up all the values that have been selected and store the result in a
variable so that then this value can be pasted elsewhere. Any suggestions on
the coding?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Continuing on and playing around, I have discovered another way by allocating
the sum of the range to a variable ready for use in further additional
calculations/functions within the code. (The €˜SumOfRange is the variable).

Sub Simka2()

Dim SumOfRange As Double

SumOfRange = Application.WorksheetFunction.Sum(Selection)

Debug.Print SumOfRange €˜Used to check the result in immediate window

' Additional code below
:
:
: