Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Update Personal Workbook Macros when Workbook is opened.

Thanks for the response Dave. I should mention a few details about my
workbook and if you don't mind tell me if it is possible to creat a
successful add-in.

This workbook is used as a quoting system for our sales team. We
manufacture all kinds of custom signage (sign cabinets, plastic faces,
channel letters, billboards, etc.). For each product I have built a custom
userform (15 Userforms) for the sales team to enter specifications of the
sign, then they click a button and the price is added to sheet1. Then the
userform is unloaded and all the userform control values are stored in
another worksheet. I have allocated one worksheet per userform. I do this
incase the salesman needs to edit that particular products userform instead
of starting from scratch. Still with me?

Here are my concerns:

I used your recommendation on deleting code from the workbook and determined
that the Userforms are the reason the file is so large. Basically the add-in
is a workbook that is loaded and remains hidden when Excel is opened, right?
If so, would it take a while for the workbook to open everytime?

Plus, some of the salesmen have 2007 and some have 2003, is that a problem
with an add-in?

--
Cheers,
Ryan

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, I don't think the macro code is the cause of the big size of your
workbooks. You could do a small test and remove all the code and save that
workbook to compare its size with the original.

But I do think that putting the code into each workbook is overkill--and a
monster to fix when there's a problem with one of the routines. Just finding
the workbooks that need to be fixed is a giant PITA.

And I don't think that I'd want your code in my personal.xl* file. First, you'd
have the same trouble (updating multiple files) if the code had to change.

Instead, I'd create a single addin that did the work. Then I'd either place
that addin in a common location (on a network drive that everyone can read) and
let the users install the addin.

If that's not possible (remote users--or users who are not always connected to
the network), then I'd distribute an addin with the instructions that it has to
be saved in the same folder on everyone's pc.

C:\WorkAddins\SalesUtils.xla

By using the same location, it'll make life much easier if workbooks are shared
between co-workers.

But by creating an addin, I'd have to give the users a way to execute those
macros.

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:
or
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...g_custom_menus

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

RyanH wrote:

I have a workbook that our sales team uses everyday. The workbook is 3MB and
is saved on our server. I put a shortcut on each of the salespersons
computer linking to the workbook. I force them to open the workbook as Read
Only. Everytime they save a quote it saves a 3MB file in a folder on our
server. I am worried of filling up the server. I think it would be best to
save all the macros contained in the workbook into there personal workbook,
thus saving alot of space.

My question is this, I update the master workbook on the server on a daily
basis. I want to give them access to those updates without having to go
around to everyones computer and updating the macros in their personal
workbook. Anybody have any ideas? I would entertain any ideas on this.

Thanks in advance,
--
Cheers,
Ryan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would have guessed that the userforms were a small factor compared to the
data, but that was just a guess.

There would be a single delay to open the addin, but loading the data file would
be quicker. And if the user opened several data files, they'd only have to open
the addin once--so it could actually be a net improvement in speed.

But I still think from a developer's standpoint that it's better to separate
your code/userform into a different workbook/addin.

If you have the same userforms in lots and lots of workbooks (more than you know
about, I bet), then when something changes, you'll never be able to fix all of
them.

And you could tell the users to toggle the addin (via tools|addins in xl2003,
and under the office button|excel options|Addins in xl2007 (I think)) whenever
they need to use it. That way it wouldn't be hanging around in the background
just taking up space.

In fact, you could put a small routine that loads the addin in each of your
workbooks:

Option Explicit
Sub Auto_Open()
dim testwkbk as workbook
set testwkbk = nothing
on error resume next
set testwkbk = workbooks("Youraddinnamehere.xla")
on error goto 0

if testwkbk is nothing then
set testwkbk = workbooks.open _
(filename:="\\yourpath\Youraddinnamehere.xla", _
readonly:=true)
end if
End sub

I'm not sure how you know which of the 15 userforms to show, though. Maybe you
could look at the name of the worksheet or a unique header or even a hidden name
to determine which userform should be presented????

====
In one situation I had, I put the addin file in the same location as the (lots
and lots) of data files. When the user opened any of those data files, they
knew (via the instructions) that the addin file needed to be opened, too.

(And if they didn't see the toolbar (xl2003), then they couldn't proceed
anyway.)

RyanH wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I appreciate the info. I think the add-in may be the answer. The add-in
would basically be a hidden workbook that can not be easily unhidden, right?
The add-in would be more efficient then just using a hidden workbook when the
data file is opened? So if I use the add-in, the data file would be the
active workbook, right? So when the user clicks a button on the data file
that calls the Userform in the add-in I would have to reference the add-in
userform in my code, right?. For example,

'This code is located in the data file
Private Sub btnProduct1_Click()

Dim wbkAddIn as Workbook

Set wbkAddIn = Workbooks("My Add-In.xla")

wbkAddIn.Userform1.Show

End Sub

Can you confirm my thoughts? I hope they are not to vague.
--
Cheers,
Ryan

RyanH wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, I wouldn't think that there would be any efficiency difference between a
workbook and an addin. The addin will open hidden (so that's a good thing), but
you could use a .xls and hide the workbook. (An addin has a single flag set
(someworkbook.isaddin = true), so there ain't much difference from a developer's
standpoint.

But from a user's perspective, your public subroutines in an addin won't appear
in the tools|macro|macros dialog. Those public routines will appear if the
workbook is a normal workbook.

And you'd want to create a subroutine in the addin that shows the userform:

Inside the addin:

Option Explicit
Sub ShowTheUserForm()
userform1.show
end sub

Then you could call this macro from your other workbooks:

Option Explicit
Sub ShowTheUserFormInTheAddin()
'assumes that the addin is open--or check with something like
'that other suggestion

dim wkbkaddin as workbook

set wkbkaddin = workbooks("My add-in.xla")

application.call "'" & wkbkaddin.name & "'!ShowTheUserForm"

End sub

And make sure that the userform's code writes to the activesheet????