Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default search BuiltinDocumentProperties routine

Hi all.
I am interested in making a routine that will search the builtin document
properties of an excel file.

I've tried using the windows search tool for that in the past and it doesn't
go far enough. I can look for words, or phrases in a file, but nothing else--
unless I've missed something.

The goal is to look in a directory where all of the files of interest are
stored. The two properties that I want to search through are the Title, and
Comments.

I'd have either two different routines- one for Title, and the other for
Comments, or it'd be a single routine, with a check box to choose one of the
two. I can modify once I get a general form to work.

I know that I'd need an application.inputbox to enter the title, or comment
contents I'm looking for.

How would I accomplish this?
Thank you in advance for your helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are two ways to go on this I believe. You can either open each
workbook and read the document property using the workbook
BuiltinDocumentProperties property. Or you can use the Dsofile.dll file MS
has provided which can read the properties from a closed file but might
require a greater learning curve:

http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/224351

--
Jim
"SteveDB1" wrote in message
| Hi all.
| I am interested in making a routine that will search the builtin document
| properties of an excel file.
|
| I've tried using the windows search tool for that in the past and it
doesn't
| go far enough. I can look for words, or phrases in a file, but nothing
else--
| unless I've missed something.
|
| The goal is to look in a directory where all of the files of interest are
| stored. The two properties that I want to search through are the Title,
and
| Comments.
|
| I'd have either two different routines- one for Title, and the other for
| Comments, or it'd be a single routine, with a check box to choose one of
the
| two. I can modify once I get a general form to work.
|
| I know that I'd need an application.inputbox to enter the title, or
comment
| contents I'm looking for.
|
| How would I accomplish this?
| Thank you in advance for your helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, I remember this file now.
I'd asked about this last year, and got the same answer.
While I downloaded it, I never attempted to install it because of our strict
IT rules here. Pretty much makes our installing any programs moot.....
I just installed it and now cannot use the sample because of those same
restrictions.
Is there any other way to accomplish this goal?
To which, I'm guessing the response might be something along the lines of--
sure, how time, and learning do you want to go through......

"SteveDB1" wrote in message
| Hi all.
| I am interested in making a routine that will search the builtin document
| properties of an excel file.
|
| I've tried using the windows search tool for that in the past and it
doesn't
| go far enough. I can look for words, or phrases in a file, but nothing
else--
| unless I've missed something.
|
| The goal is to look in a directory where all of the files of interest are
| stored. The two properties that I want to search through are the Title,
and
| Comments.
|
| I'd have either two different routines- one for Title, and the other for
| Comments, or it'd be a single routine, with a check box to choose one of
the
| two. I can modify once I get a general form to work.
|
| I know that I'd need an application.inputbox to enter the title, or
comment
| contents I'm looking for.
|
| How would I accomplish this?
| Thank you in advance for your helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I said, there are two ways I know of. If you can't use the second you're
stuck with the first. Opening each workbook can be slow but I don't see any
other way.

--
Jim

"SteveDB1" wrote in message
| Hi all.
| I am interested in making a routine that will search the builtin
document
| properties of an excel file.
|
| I've tried using the windows search tool for that in the past and it
doesn't
| go far enough. I can look for words, or phrases in a file, but nothing
else--
| unless I've missed something.
|
| The goal is to look in a directory where all of the files of interest
are
| stored. The two properties that I want to search through are the Title,
and
| Comments.
|
| I'd have either two different routines- one for Title, and the other
for
| Comments, or it'd be a single routine, with a check box to choose one
of
the
| two. I can modify once I get a general form to work.
|
| I know that I'd need an application.inputbox to enter the title, or
comment
| contents I'm looking for.
|
| How would I accomplish this?
| Thank you in advance for your helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,
Thanks.
I finally was able to test this program on my computer at home. While this
is indeed an impressive utility, it's not what we were looking for.
What we're hoping to find/make is a utility that will search both file
names, and the comments in the builtindocumentproperties for specific terms,
words, and then access that file through standard means. Having to do this
one document at a time is an extremely tedious form of accomplishing that.
Part of what I was thinking is a desktop search tool, akin to the standard
search.
I'm saddened to figure out that we can't modify the standard windows search
tool to also look in the document properties.
I guess I'll submit to the windows wish list and hope they do something from
there.
Best, and thanks again for your time on this.