Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default IsEmpty function in VSTO

In Excel VBA, there is a function which will tell you if a cell is empty, e.g.
IsEmpty(ActiveCell)
but I can't find that function in VSTO. How would I determine if a certain
cell in Excel is empty using VB in VSTO? (I'm using VS 2008 and Excel 2007).
--
Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try

If Rng.Formula.Length=0 Then

where Rng is the reference to the cell.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ed White" wrote in message
In Excel VBA, there is a function which will tell you if a cell is empty,
e.g.
IsEmpty(ActiveCell)
but I can't find that function in VSTO. How would I determine if a
certain
cell in Excel is empty using VB in VSTO? (I'm using VS 2008 and Excel
2007).
--
Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll try that. I also tried
If String.IsNullOrEmpty(Rng.Text) = True
and it seems to work (it's important to use .Text and not .Value).
--
Ed

"Ed White" wrote in message
In Excel VBA, there is a function which will tell you if a cell is empty,
e.g.
IsEmpty(ActiveCell)
but I can't find that function in VSTO. How would I determine if a
certain
cell in Excel is empty using VB in VSTO? (I'm using VS 2008 and Excel
2007).
--
Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Ed,

In fact, "IsEmpty" is a VB6 (or VBA) stuff. It's not a part of the Excel
object model or function, instead, it's exposed by the VB6 class library.

In VB 6, the Empty keyword indicates an uninitialized variable, and the
Null keyword is used to indicate that a variable contains no valid data. VB
..NET does not support either keyword, but uses the Nothing keyword in both
of these cases.
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet...ex.html?page=4

In addition, the IsEmpty function is not supported in VB .NET, and C#.
That's why we cannot find it in a VSTO project. In .NET, we use IsNothing()
/ IsDbNull / String.IsNullOrEmpty as you have found out.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge , remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

.