Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default blank data when using macros

Hello:

Unfortunately, the developers of my software package are passing the buck to
Excel. So, since I got no help from them, I thought that I would ask you all
about this.

I have an application that can export data to Excel. And, if you create an
Excel macro-based template, my application can run this macro right away so
that the data exported to a spreadsheet can be manipulated immediately by the
macro.

But, for the first time since using this application at a client site, the
spreadsheet contains no data after exporting the data to Excel from my
application.

How is it that a macro is causing data to be erased? Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Two possibilities come to mind:
1) no data is being exported to Excel
2) data is being exported to Excel but its layout or format is not what the
macro expects. You don't tell us what the macro does. If it deletes heading
rows from a downloaded report, for example, and the layout changed, the macro
might mistake data rows for heading rows and delete them.

Maybe you could insert an Exit Sub (or Exit Function) statement on the
second line of your macro temporarily. Then you could see if any data is
being exported to Excel, and check the layout/format of the data to ensure
that it is consistent with the macro code. Also, you could step through the
macro execution to observe what it is doing, one line at a time (remove the
aforementioned Exit Sub first. Then, from the worksheet select Tools Macro
Macros. Select your macro, then click Step Into. Press F8 to execute one

line of code at a time.)

Hope this helps,

Hutch