Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Default Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Hi all,

I just don't understand this.

I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy
and paste.

When I copy from one book, and paste to another book,

the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste...

the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%...

The whole program is not responding any more.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

What kind of things are you trying to copy and paste, is it just a few cells,
or is it an entire sheet, webpage, etc?

I'd imagine that you might have a virus (worst-case, not necessarily true
right now.. so don't get too freaked out), or it might just be that your
computer is getting old, possibly. I'm no Excel expert, but I'm sure there
are plenty of other explanations..

Jim
--
I appreciate any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Just a few cells...

I guess it's the automatical calculation feature that's on...

But I have turned it off already... why is it on again?

On Aug 5, 2:41*pm, J Sedoff comRemove
<RemoveSageoficar,at,RemoveHotmail<dot wrote:
What kind of things are you trying to copy and paste, is it just a few cells,
or is it an entire sheet, webpage, etc?

I'd imagine that you might have a virus (worst-case, not necessarily true
right now.. so don't get too freaked out), or it might just be that your
computer is getting old, possibly. *I'm no Excel expert, but I'm sure there
are plenty of other explanations..

Jim
--
I appreciate any feedback.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

The fact that you only have 2.2 GB left means you probably need to clean up
your hard drive (remove unnecessary/old/unused files), or buy a new (or used)
larger hard drive, a loaded hard drive might be slowing down your system
since you don't have as much space to temporarily store information.

As for Automatic calculations, that will slow down your Excel experience
only if the workbook(s) that you have open has a lot of filled cells to
calculate (mainly query calls, external links, lots of complicated formulas,
etc). If you only have a few cells filled, it shouldn't be slowing down,
especially not to 1 hr for a copy/paste!! That's crazy! (I'd say, it might
not hurt to call IT, if people here can't resolve it.)

Good luck, Jim
--
I appreciate any feedback. Please don''t be scared to say that "Yes"
I/someone else did answer your question. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

It's weird, it doesn't look like I have a macro that is auto-running
when I do copy and paste...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

I checked, it's "manual" calculation mode...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

How is the speed of copy&pasting a few cells in the same workbook? Slow?

If its fast, then try pasting those cells into another office app like
Word...Slow?
If its still slow, then I would suspect a virus protection program is
running which you can verify by opening a file...now if only the copy & paste
is slow, there has to be another file that is clogging the system. In that
case you would have to start your computer in safe mode and see if the
problem still exists.

If copying in the same workbook is slow, then you could have a memory
issue...just because it says 2.2G does not mean neccessarily it can read or
write on 2.2G

But it is not the recalucation feature for a few cells....

"LunaMoon" wrote:

Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Hi all,

I just don't understand this.

I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy
and paste.

When I copy from one book, and paste to another book,

the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste...

the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%...

The whole program is not responding any more.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

i have been trying to insert row and column headings..you know the ABCDEG on
the top and the numbers on this side...not sure the correct term....for some
reason when exporting from other programs the headings disappear. ..its
frustrating that people designing these programs are soooo stupid. The common
tasks should not be hard to find....I guess if these people were smart they
would be working for Apple.

"LunaMoon" wrote in message
My god, it still hangs after 1 hour... just for copy and paste...

btw, I have 2.2GB remaining on my harddisk...

On Aug 5, 2:01 pm, LunaMoon wrote:
Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Hi all,

I just don't understand this.

I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy
and paste.

When I copy from one book, and paste to another book,

the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste...

the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%...

The whole program is not responding any more.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

One thing I checked is that since I am facing such problem, so I
killed the Excel process many times....
and my harddisk went down quickly, from 2.2GB to 1.24GB now...

Does EXCEL leave some junks somewhere after it's been killed?

"LunaMoon" wrote:
Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Hi all,

I just don't understand this.

I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy
and paste.

When I copy from one book, and paste to another book,

the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste...

the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%...

The whole program is not responding any more.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Hi,

I think your 2GB of free space is your biggest problem.
I run winXP and I have performance problems if I let my
free space get below 10GB. I believe Vista is even hungrier
than XP. These days Windows needs lots of vast open
spaces to operate properly.

Your best bet is to post on the Windows newsgroups to
find out the facts of just what you need to do.

In the meantime try freeing up 10GB or more if you can
and see if that helps any.

HTH
Martin

"LunaMoon" wrote in message
Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?

Hi all,

I just don't understand this.

I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy
and paste.

When I copy from one book, and paste to another book,

the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste...

the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%...

The whole program is not responding any more.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

The problem still persists.

Even more interesting is while I was waiting for the copy&paste, I
checked the Task Manager and saw no CPU usage activity from this
EXCEL, but it just not responding...!