Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default random numbers but normal distribution

Hello!
I'm trying to get a list of 10,000 numbers with average 0.5 and a starndard
deviation 0.2.
Does someone know how to do this? Any ideas?
I'd like a function to create "random" numbers but with function parameters
"Average" and "StDev".
I thank you in advance...
Albert C.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:15:01 -0700, Albert
wrote:

Hello!
I'm trying to get a list of 10,000 numbers with average 0.5 and a starndard
deviation 0.2.
Does someone know how to do this? Any ideas?
I'd like a function to create "random" numbers but with function parameters
"Average" and "StDev".
I thank you in advance...
Albert C.

Try this formula in any cell

=NORMINV(RAND(),0.5,0.2)

Copy the formula down, or in any other preferred direction, to get
your 10000 numbers.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Prior to 2003, NORMINV is too inaccurate in the tails for use in random
number generation. If the OP is using an older version of Excel, the
Box-Muller transformation (search these newsgroups or check Wikipedia) will
do a better job.

Most other native ...INV functions are still to inaccurate for random number
generation, though ATP uses them anyway. The Smith library
http://members.aol.com/iandjmsmith/iansNApage.htm
of VBA probability functions is quite accurate, and could be used for the
purpose.

Jerry

wrote:

Hello!
I'm trying to get a list of 10,000 numbers with average 0.5 and a starndard
deviation 0.2.
Does someone know how to do this? Any ideas?
I'd like a function to create "random" numbers but with function parameters
"Average" and "StDev".
I thank you in advance...
Albert C.

Try this formula in any cell

=NORMINV(RAND(),0.5,0.2)

Copy the formula down, or in any other preferred direction, to get
your 10000 numbers.

Hope this helps / Lars-Ã…ke