Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Select Non Contigouos Ranges

I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False) '.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), FoundDate.End(xlDown)).Resize(,2).Select

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"LuisE" wrote in message
I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and
then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False)
'.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference
in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe this

Sub standard()
Dim rFoundCell As Range
Set rFoundCell = Range("A1")
Set rFoundCell = Columns(1).Find(What:="DATE", After:=rFoundCell, _
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)
myrange = Range(rFoundCell.Address).Resize(65537 - rFoundCell.Row, 5).Copy
End Sub

"LuisE" wrote:

I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False) '.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe this is what you are looking for

Sub Test()
Dim aWS As Worksheet
Dim FoundDate As Range
Dim lRow as long

Set aWS = ActiveSheet
Set FoundDate = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set FoundDate = aWS.Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", _
After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, _
SearchFormat:=False)

If FoundDate Is Nothing Then
MsgBox ("Nothing found")
Exit Sub
End If

lrow = FoundDate.End(xlDown).Row

Set FoundDate = FoundDate.Resize(lrow - FoundDate.Row + 1, 1)
Debug.Print FoundDate.Address

Set FoundDate = Union(FoundDate, FoundDate.Offset(0, 4)) 'Change offset as
needed

Debug.Print FoundDate.Address

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"LuisE" wrote:

I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False) '.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think this does what you want...

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Offset(1, 0)
With FoundDate
Union(.Resize(.End(xlDown).Row - .Row + 1), _
.Resize(.End(xlDown).Row - .Row + 1).Offset(, 4)).Select
End With

Rick

"LuisE" wrote in message
I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and
then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False)
'.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference
in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

to copy columns A & E try

Sub standard()
Dim rFoundCell As Range
Dim myrange As Range
Dim myrange1 As Range
Dim copyrange As Range

Set rFoundCell = Range("A1")
Set rFoundCell = Columns(1).Find(What:="DATE", After:=rFoundCell, _
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)

Set myrange = Range(rFoundCell.Address).Resize(65537 - rFoundCell.Row, 1)
Set myrange1 = Range(rFoundCell.Address).Offset(, 4).Resize(65537 -
rFoundCell.Row, 1)
Set copyrange = Union(myrange, myrange1)
copyrange.Copy

End Sub

Mike

"LuisE" wrote in message
I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and
then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False)
'.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference
in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I went with your Subject line, but in re-looking at your code, it appears
you don't need to select the range... your ultimate goal is to simply Copy
it. Change the .Select in the last code line (the Union statement) to .Copy
in order to do that.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"LuisE" wrote in message
I need to select all the cells underneath a "found" cell in column A and
then
also the corresponding cells four columns to the right.

Here is what I have, it selects the entire range including columns in
between and an "Object Required" error.

Dim FoundDate As Range
Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False)
'.Activate

Union(Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select,
Range(FoundDate.Offset(0, 4), Selection.End(xlDown)).Select).Copy

I also struggle to understand set, object required dilema, any reference
in
plain English?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dim FoundDate As Range

Set FoundDate = Columns("A:A").Find(What:="Date", After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= False, SearchFormat:=False)
Set rng = Range(FoundDate.Offset(1, 0), FoundDate.End(xlDown))
Set rng = Union(rng, rng.Offset(0,4))
rng.Select

--
HTH