Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Personal workbook

I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
it's window hidden. How do I get around that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long as
Excel is. That's a good thing too.

--
Jim
"Doogie" wrote in message
| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? Are you seeing Excel
as a process in your task manager. You should leave personal.xls open while
you are using excel. On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
excel. If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
able to use your macros. If you don't see excel in the task manager then
personal.xls is not open. Hope that helps.

Jim Rech wrote:
Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long as
Excel is. That's a good thing too.

| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim Rech wrote:
Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long as
Excel is. *That's a good thing too.

| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. *It
| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
| it's window hidden. *How do I get around that?

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
a way around that.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I understand what you are referring to. This is a side-effect of having the
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" option set on under Excel Options,
Advanced, Display. If you can live without this you should turn it off. I
don't know of any other remedy.

--
Jim

Jim Rech wrote:
Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long
as
Excel is. That's a good thing too.

| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
a way around that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not sure I completely understand your senario below. Are you hitting
the large X in the far upper right corner and not the small one just below
the big one? If you hit the large X you should be thrown all the way out of
Excel.

Doogie wrote:
On Jul 31, 9:03Â*am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe
wrote:
How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? Â*Are you seeing Excel
as a process in your task manager. Â* You should leave personal.xls open while

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
a way around that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim Rech wrote:
Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long
as
Excel is. That's a good thing too.

| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. *All is great with the
world. *When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. *(The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. *If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". *That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. *I was wondering if there was
a way around that.- Hide quoted text -

I will mention that option to the user to see what she thinks. Thank
you very much!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? *Are you seeing Excel
as a process in your task manager. * You should leave personal.xls open while

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. *All is great with the
world. *When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
open and I can see it. *(The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
open. *If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". *That, from a user
standpoint, could be a little annoying. *I was wondering if there was
a way around that.

I am hitting the far x which should close out of Excel completely.
But it doesn't it leaves the personal.xlsm open.